+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Relief - Questons on filling out RC4288 form

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Hi there.

I have been out of the country a while and had a pretty bad experience with my wife and going to Canada and her leaving me and taking a bunch of my belongings including some of my tax documents apparently.. A close family member died and a few months before that I lost my job of 14 years. I have been working abroad and paying my taxes 100% legit since I started working over 20 years ago. (7 years+ abroad)

Anyway with that situation at the end of 2011 I have been out of the country and trying to get my marriage annulled, living with friends but I didn't file for a few years under the presumption that I would be "owed" money and well I had so much on my mind since my whole life pretty much fell apart in a few months. Anyway when I filed for 2012, 2013, 2014 in april 2015 my mother was sending me documents and confirming but apparently she missed some of them (and those are the ones that my wife took with her when she took some of my money and belongings) and with everything going on I didn't think too much of it. I would only have a partial of my severance and some small royalties and I didn't realize (or had been too stressed out to think too much) that I would have an issue. I am currently still out of the country (which contributed to some of the mail delays as it is forwarded or sent to me electronically when possible) and am in the middle of my annulment here. (Trying to get rid of my wife) So much going on ugh.

That is until today when I got a re-assessment indicating that I was actually supposed to get a +5k refund but instead because when I had her file for all 3 years she didn't include the documents that apparently my wife had taken before she left, I was reassessed and now owe like about 4k in penalties and interest. (meaning I would have gotten 5K but now owe like 4k so like a +- of like 9 thousand Canadian. Quite a shocker.

So anyway the following things I am trying to understand:

1. I can fill out this RC4288 form but should I get someone to do it for me or should I do it myself ?
2. Are those penalties too high for only being a few years ago ? It's almost 10 thousand in interest and penalties. I would have had a 5k+ refund.
3. Can anyone offer an opinion based on the general explanation of what I wrote if I have an argument to get full or partial/relief ?
4. Anything to include or *NOT* include in the explanation section perhaps if someone has done this before. I can tell the story like I mentioned above but I am sure there might be some things that would be better left unsaid

I really appreciate this and well I feel like a dumbass for not realizing that I would be charged penalties despite being "owned" money but with so much crap going on in my life I guess I just didn't put it all together, I wasn't completely there.

Thanks and any help would be appreciated good news or bad news