+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal(RO not met) while appeal pending/travel mobility/temp. PR card. Please help!

movnorth

Apr 20, 2024
Hi All,

I have a **lot** of questions and would really reallly appreciate any pointers from this amazing forum!

I have a PR card expiring end of May '24 and have not met the RO(3 months total in last 5 years). I plan to enter Canada via the US land border ideally before my card expires. I am aware that I may be reported in which case I plan to appeal on H&C grounds. I'm not sure if I would qualify for renewal on H&C. However, I would still like to try. My main concern is travel mobility. I plan to live in Canada until a decision is made however I may need to leave the country for short visits.

I'm wondering what to expect(timelines and impact) until the appeal is heard and a verdict is issued.

1. Am I likely to get reported(land border) even if I enter before the card expires(RO not met)?

2. If I am sent to secondary inspection and get reported I believe I have a right to appeal within 30 days. Can I appeal from outside Canada? Can I enter Canada(land/air) while the appeal is pending(either scenario - PR card is valid and PR card has expired).

3. Do I appeal once am in Canada? Do I have to get a lawyer to submit the appeal?

4. Can I enter Canada via land border with an expired PR card(valid COPR) while an appeal is pending?

5. I believe the hearing may take 1-2 years. Is that accurate? I would like to delay the appeal as much as possible. Could I submit to a different office(like Montreal) that is taking 3-4 years to process appeals? If so, do I have to reside in Montreal in that case?

6. If I am reported, can I still apply for PR card renewal? Can i also apply for a PRTD so I can travel in and out of the country? Does this have to be from within Canada? Can I do it from outside? Are my chances higher if I apply for PRTD/PR renewal from within Canada?

7. I believe I would be eligible for the temporary PR card if I have visited Canada in the last 365 days. How can I get 1 year temporary PR card? Is there any other criterion?

8. Trying to understand timelines - how long it would take to get the temporary PR card? If I need to travel before the temporary PR card is issued, can I still leave Canada and come back once the temp PR card has arrived(or even before)?

9. At any point if I wish to withdraw the appeal and surrender the PR, can I do that?

10. Can I qualify for health benefits in BC while the appeal is pending?

Thank you so much in advance!