+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal from outside Canada

M.R.S

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
Hi,

My PR Card is going to expire at the end of this year, i have met the residency obligation one year back and then returned to Pakistan due to family compulsions. Now i want to renew my PR Card as well as apply for Citizenship, my concern is that can i apply from outside Canada for both PR and Citizenship?

I have spent 1245 days in Canada in last 5 years and have spent 451 days outside Canada, my last exit from Canada was in July 2013, and since then i am living in Pakistan.

Please advice should i submit the PR Renewal application from Pakistan or should i sent the application to my friend in Canada and ask him to submit application from inside Canada. Secondly the PR Renewal form has a question that what is your present address in Canada ? should i write that i am outside Canada or provide my friends address in Canada?

At the end of PR Renewal form i have to sign the form and mention the city and province , should i write Toronto, Ontario over there or i should mention Pakistan in that column?

Will appreciate if the senior members can give their valuable opinion on my queries.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
A PR renewal application cannot originate outside of Canada. You can send the app to your friend in Canada to mail but be aware that some people are asked to pick up their PR card in person. If you don't pick it up within 6 months, it's destroyed, you have to apply again and there will be much more scrutiny of the second application. Putting Toronto as your current location would be lying to CIC, which is never a good idea.

As for citizenship, applying from outside Canada will almost certainly result in you being sent an Residence Questionnaire, which will drag your application out for years.

Also, citizenship requirements are currently 1095 days out of the past 1460 in Canada, or 3 out of the past 4 years. If you've been out of Canada for a total of 366 days or more in the past 4 years, you aren't eligible for citizenship. Have you done the residency calculator to see if you have enough days?

M.R.S

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
Thanks for replying.

Honestly speaking my first priority is to get PR Card renewed, now i don't want to lie and get my straight forward case screwed up so should i leave the column of present address in Canada as blank ? and what about the place under signature column ?

Will appreciate if you can share your opinion on that.

Further about citizenship requirement, i have spent 1245 days in Canada but i am outside Canada since July 2013 this means if i am going to apply for citizenship in June 2014 i can still make it as my three years residency is continuous without any absences.

Still i will get it rechecked with citizenship calculator.

Thanks

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
M.R.S said:
Thanks for replying.

Honestly speaking my first priority is to get PR Card renewed, now i don't want to lie and get my straight forward case screwed up so should i leave the column of present address in Canada as blank ? and what about the place under signature column ?

Further about citizenship requirement, i have spent 1245 days in Canada but i am outside Canada since July 2013 this means if i am going to apply for citizenship in June 2014 i can still make it as my three years residency is continuous without any absences.

Still i will get it rechecked with citizenship calculator.

Thanks
First you get your PR Card renewed while you are inside Canada.
Please note that you have to submit all the pages of your passport while applying for PR renewal. When CIC get CBSA records, they can find that you are outside Canada. They may also try to reach you over the Canadian telephone number, if they got any doubt. In the application you have to show your travel history also, which shows you have not returned to Canada. It means, applying for PR renewal or citizenship while you are out side Canada is not at all possible.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
M.R.S said:
Thanks for replying.

Do you actually intend to return permanently to Canada? If so, when?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
M.R.S

1. Your PR application as per canuck_in_uk needs to originate in Canada. Fill out the forms with the out of country address since departure and your in Canada addresses prior. You will have to pick up the PR Card in person so make sure you arrive in Canada before your current card expires. You don't want to get stuck outside Canada and have PRTD complications. Last time I checked you could apply 6 months prior to expiry so make sure you do this - courier your application to a friend then they can forward to Sidney. I don't see why CIC has such a hang up on this as it doesn't make a difference if you send it from overseas.

2. Your file will get extra scrutiny so make sure you submit all the required supporting documentation to ensure smooth processing.

3. I did the math on a rough basis and I can't see how you think you meet the 1095 physical presence days in the 4 year period prior for a Citizenship application. Based on absence today May 13, 2014 back to July 1, 2013 (for a worst case scenario) you are out 366 days. That leaves you with 929 days this in the 5 years? If you compress this with an additional 135 days (to bring total to 451 days) then you are in an even worse position.

M.R.S

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
You guys are right i have missed the citizenship requirement by thin margin. Actually i am out of Canada since 30th June 2013 and thought that i can apply for citizenship before 20th June 2014 so that i will be out of Canada less than 366 days but i have been to Pakistan for few days between 2010 and 2013 and therefore missing the residency by just 60 days. I should have made my citizenship application earlier few months back but now it seems i have missed the bus.

Any ways i have to apply for PR renewal, i can't travel to Canada before end of this year due to some property dispute pending over here and by that time my PR card will be expired.
Now guys please advice whether i should apply for PR renewal from outside Canada or should i mail my application to my friend in Canada and ask him to mail from inside Canada. My passport has stamp showing that i am outside Canada for one year so i think i should be honest to them and signed the application form from outside Canada. What you guys say?

One more advice i want is that on PR renewal form there is a question number 21 to list absences from Canada the main question is period to be assessed, now i am writing the period from the date i entered Canada to the date i left Canada, but i am confused whether i should write from the date i entered Canada to the current date. Which one is right ?

Thanks guys for your advice and opinions

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
M.R.S said:
You guys are right i have missed the citizenship requirement by thin margin. Actually i am out of Canada since 30th June 2013 and thought that i can apply for citizenship before 20th June 2014 so that i will be out of Canada less than 366 days but i have been to Pakistan for few days between 2010 and 2013 and therefore missing the residency by just 60 days. I should have made my citizenship application earlier few months back but now it seems i have missed the bus.

Any ways i have to apply for PR renewal, i can't travel to Canada before end of this year due to some property dispute pending over here and by that time my PR card will be expired.
Now guys please advice whether i should apply for PR renewal from outside Canada or should i mail my application to my friend in Canada and ask him to mail from inside Canada. My passport has stamp showing that i am outside Canada for one year so i think i should be honest to them and signed the application form from outside Canada. What you guys say?

One more advice i want is that on PR renewal form there is a question number 21 to list absences from Canada the main question is period to be assessed, now i am writing the period from the date i entered Canada to the date i left Canada, but i am confused whether i should write from the date i entered Canada to the current date. Which one is right ?

Thanks guys for your advice and opinions
Read Msafiri's post carefully, he gives you the advice you are asking for in regards to how to get your PR card renewed and what you might encounter as an issue.

You count the 5 years previous to the date you sign the application for PR renewal. So if you were to sign it today, you would give them information all the way back to May 14, 2009.