+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal and leaving canada on emergency on expired PR problem

malikkk70

May 11, 2014
Hi

We want to enter canada with less than a year left for PR expiry which will expire in July 2015. I have the following important queries which I request the experts to help me with.

1) My wife's PR card is on her maiden name. After marraige she got her surnamed changed in her new Indian passport. Will there be a problem at the canadian immigration because the surname on her PR and passport don't match?

2) If we are let in Canada and we live there with expired PR (after July 2015) but if there is an emergency back home (death, serious illness of loved ones) and I want to leave Canada but my wife and child stays back in Canada.
Can I re-enter Canada with expired PR on the grounds that my family is living in Canada and that I had to leave Canada on an emergency?

3) Will there be any problem in getting health insurance for Alberta? We applied for SIN cards when we first went to Canada in 2010 but did not apply for health insurance or driving licence.

Appreciate your guidance on the above.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I will try to answer your questions as best as I can with the knowledge I have.

1. It should not be an issue, but carry your marriage certificate and her old passport (if she still has access to it)

2. If you leave the country at any point in time and you do not have a valid PR card and you are in breach of the RO, it won't matter if your family is here if they choose to report you for failing to meet the RO. It won't matter what the emergency is. If you want to ensure you are all able to keep your PR, enter Canada before your card expires and remain no less than 730 days to keep your RO in good standing.

3. As long as you return to Canada BEFORE your cards expire you shouldn't have a problem. If you return after they expire, then your health insurance and drivers licenses will likely be a lost cause as most places are asking for a valid PR card even though that isn't what they are supposed to be used for.

I am sure if I missed something or if I am wrong other seniour members will chime in and correct or add to the information, but this should get you started.