+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Expires While Outside Canada

deut6and4

May 7, 2014
My husband's PR card expires September of 2016 and I was researching how to renew it. We currently live in the USA (for the past 3.5 years), but my husband still meets the PR residency requirements since he is with me, a Canadian citizen. I am confused as to the renewal process since we live in the USA.

1. Can we apply for renewal while outside of Canada? If so, what specific form numbers do we fill out?

2. Can we re-apply even if we will not be moving back to Canada any time soon?

3. If we can apply while outside Canada, does the new card need to be mailed to a Canadian address? My parents have a valid Canadian address and will forward documents to us as needed.

4. If we cannot apply from outside of Canada, do we let his card expire and then renew when in Canada? If so, how long can it be expired for before we have to re-do the entire PR process again from the beginning? And can we renew if we are only visiting or do we have to re-establish an actual physical residency to renew?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
deut6and4 said:
My husband's PR card expires September of 2016 and I was researching how to renew it. We currently live in the USA (for the past 3.5 years), but my husband still meets the PR residency requirements since he is with me, a Canadian citizen. I am confused as to the renewal process since we live in the USA.

1. Can we apply for renewal while outside of Canada? If so, what specific form numbers do we fill out?

2. Can we re-apply even if we will not be moving back to Canada any time soon?

3. If we can apply while outside Canada, does the new card need to be mailed to a Canadian address? My parents have a valid Canadian address and will forward documents to us as needed.

4. If we cannot apply from outside of Canada, do we let his card expire and then renew when in Canada? If so, how long can it be expired for before we have to re-do the entire PR process again from the beginning? And can we renew if we are only visiting or do we have to re-establish an actual physical residency to renew?
CIC states that to be eligible for a new PR card, the PR must be in Canada. (Thus "no" to 1 & 2, and n/a for 3.)

PR status is NOT dependent on possession of a currently valid PR card. So long as the PR remains in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation the PR remains a PR.

Compliance is, as you note, satisfied by living together with a Canadian citizen partner (assuming of course it is a qualified relationship).

Lack of actual presence in Canada could trigger questions about compliance with PR Residency Obligation, which can be answered quite simply by stating relationship to Canadian citizen spouse and living together abroad. If you are traveling together to Canada, should be no problem answering any questions about PR RO. If the PR is traveling unaccompanied by Canadian citizen partner, good idea to have (1) copy of marriage certificate, (2) copy of Canadian citizen's birth certificate (if it shows birth in Canada) or passport, and something to reflect living together (copy of lease or property tax notice, or formal mail, like utilities bill, addressed to each respectively at same address for example). Even this should ordinarily not be asked for or required, but a good idea to have just in case.

Many PRs will visit and do the renewal while visiting. No need to do this. Most who do this are fudging in some way or another. Best to truthfully answer all questions, including as to actual residence, and thus where there is no need for a new PR card it is probably not a good idea to try manipulating some elements in order to obtain one. Different story perhaps for those who do not have a visa-exempt passport, but an American citizen should have no problems traveling to Canada from the U.S. . . . technically to fly to Canada the PR is supposed to display a currently valid PR card in order to board the flight . . . most American citizens report that showing their visa-exempt U.S. passport is sufficient for boarding.

At the POE, again there may be some questions about compliance with the PR RO, but you have that covered.

In other words: no need to worry about getting a new PR card until you are actually living in Canada again.