+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal Photo Specifications

sezme

Sep 4, 2023
I am trying to clear up some confusion. My wife applied to renew her PR card recently (late June). At the time, we thought that the renewal portal accepted digital photos. "Digital" in this case meaning that the photographer supplied jpegs that had the required information embedded, and not printed copies. A couple weeks ago the application was rejected due to the photo. The email informing her was rather cryptic. It said (this part was highlighted) "information provided did not include verification from the photographer (receipt, email, etc.) of the studio address and date taken".

First of all, there was never a place on the form or any instructions to provide emails or receipts from the photographer, and second, we don't know what information the photographer included in the metadata. I assume that would have been in there.

Since then she has (with a lot of stress) gotten new printed photos, and we have scanned them and uploaded them and reapplied.

So my question is, did we mess up in the first place? I thought I had seen that they accept photos that were only delivered as jpgs from the photographer, but as I look at the various instructions and specifications now, it looks like they only accept photos that have been printed with the specified writing on the back. Is this the case? I can't find clarity on the web, or in this forum, so perhaps others are confused as well.

Sugar2016

Jul 21, 2016
I am trying to clear up some confusion. My wife applied to renew her PR card recently (late June). At the time, we thought that the renewal portal accepted digital photos. "Digital" in this case meaning that the photographer supplied jpegs that had the required information embedded, and not printed copies. A couple weeks ago the application was rejected due to the photo. The email informing her was rather cryptic. It said (this part was highlighted) "information provided did not include verification from the photographer (receipt, email, etc.) of the studio address and date taken".

First of all, there was never a place on the form or any instructions to provide emails or receipts from the photographer, and second, we don't know what information the photographer included in the metadata. I assume that would have been in there.

Since then she has (with a lot of stress) gotten new printed photos, and we have scanned them and uploaded them and reapplied.

So my question is, did we mess up in the first place? I thought I had seen that they accept photos that were only delivered as jpgs from the photographer, but as I look at the various instructions and specifications now, it looks like they only accept photos that have been printed with the specified writing on the back. Is this the case? I can't find clarity on the web, or in this forum, so perhaps others are confused as well.
Did you remember to scan the back of the photo with the stamp/signature details of the photographer?

sezme

Sep 4, 2023
My question was whether a jpg-from-the-photographer is ever accepted for a PR Card renewal application. In that case there was no back to sign or scan.

With the revised application, the photographer printed the photo, and yes, that back was stamped and scanned.

Sugar2016

Jul 21, 2016
The back of the photo (with the stamp) needs to be scanned and uploaded as well.
There is no such thing as an digital photo/jpg with embedded verification

sezme

Sep 4, 2023
Thank you. I had been confused and now it seems so obvious, but somehow we got it wrong in the first place.

sezme

Sep 4, 2023
OK, I figured out where the misinformation came from originally... IRCC's own instructional page:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/apply-online-pr-card.html

On that page it says:

How to submit a photo
  • make sure you’re in the Permanent Resident (PR) card / PR Travel Document tab at the top of the page
  • choose the “upload photo” button
  • your photo can be
    • a professional digital photo in JPEG or PNG format
    • a scanned professional photo (don’t take a picture of a paper photo with your digital camera or phone)

emillioe53

Nov 21, 2023

Keeping up with these requirements can be a little tricky, but I recently discovered a fantastic tool that can help other users achieve the perfect shots. I highly recommend using this function here to remove wrinkles from photos. This tool not only smoothes out any imperfections, but also adds a subtle motion blur effect, giving your photos a professional look.
Hey there, I can totally understand the confusion you're experiencing with the PR card renewal process. It sounds like you and your wife went through quite a bit of stress to rectify the photo issue.