+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Posted out if a week visit?

mustangphil66

Nov 11, 2009
Similar to Imogen24's post on 6 Nov 2009, I need to come to Canada before a certain date for my first PR card ever. However I have a very sick mother who I can't desert (which I have advised them of previously) and cannot stay permanently. If I stay just a week, at a friends place who will pass on later correspondence, will the card be mailed to that address or do I have to come in and collect it like on this website. Shttp://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000508ee .
I will tell the officer all the facts like they are and that I'll be there only a week, but that my situation will probably change within the next 3 years, thus enabling me to complete the last 2 out of 5 year requirement. But my intention is not to stay in the immediate future but do intend to come over to live when I can.
Will this be acceptable? Or am I wasting my time coming over, and should give up?

I won't apply for healthcare as I won't be there, but as an absent PR will I need to lodge a Canadian tax return every year I'm not here?
Thanks, Phil

mlea

Nov 16, 2009
your PR card will be posted to the address you provide and your friends can UPS it to you out of country and you can use it to re-enter canada, dont give up... its worth the fight. dont tell the officer that you only intend to stay for a week unless you are asked the specific question, answer what you are asked.