+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC List: User Support Technicians, work permit?

NSK123

Jun 1, 2009
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I have a basic question.

I'm not a skilled worker and I'm trying to figure out which way I can get a regular job In Canada (any region) I have a swedish citizenship with 3 years part-time and partly full-time experience in Tech support
and various other small Tech jobs, a High school diploma and I have been attending University for 1-yr out of a 3½yr bachelor degree.

As far as I can figure I do not quality for the PR and therefore need to get a temporary work visa to work in Canada. I was thinking of finding a Tech support job and then work my way from there, as far as I know you don't need a degree to work in tech support as I have done this for a long time.

Anyways this is where I get stuck.. Is it realistic to try this? I have found alot of job listings for Tech support jobs offering OK salaries, but will I need the help of an employer to get a Temporary Work visa? Or can I apply for it myself? Another question I have is, does the User Support Technicians position under the NOC list qualify as work experience in the Point system if I decide to work towards a PR one day?

Thanks in advanced.

AndreaSA

Feb 3, 2009
My advice. Finish your bachelor....

Regarding work visa, you need a job offer then apply for work permit outside canada. Only problem this can take months ( more than 2). If the employer is willing to wait thats perfect. You dont necessarily need your future employer help to get your work visa, you only need the job offer from them (position and salary). I believe it has to go through the LMO, more details about the process are in the website.
Also you dont have a diploma or a degree, so its going to be really hard for you. My best best bessst advise... finish your bachelor
:). It will be worth it.

To check your job NOC:
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/Welcome.aspx
Work visa:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

Quote from CIC:
"Eligibility to apply from outside Canada

To apply for a work permit from outside Canada, you must submit the following documents:

* a job offer from a Canadian employer
* a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and
* written confirmation from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.
o In most cases, it is up to your employer to get that written confirmation. Information on the labour market opinion is found under Information for Canadian employers on the right-hand side of this page.
o In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion. (See Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.)

You must also do the following:

* Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.
* Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
* Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate. See Have a medical exam or criminal check done in the I Need To… section on the right-hand side of this page.)
* Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
* Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)

Some temporary foreign workers can have Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) start processing their work permit applications before a Canadian visa office has an approved labour market opinion. To find out more, see Concurrent processing: NOC, levels O, A and B in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page."