+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

News on the delay of PR Card renewal --> any truth?

vylette

Apr 19, 2010
Hi,

I would just like to ask if anyone have heard about the news on the layoffs that took place in Sydney case processing center in NS, which handles PR, citizenship and skilled worker papers. With this situation, it was stated that the processing time to renew the PR card will be increased from 18months to 24months. I find it outrageous because the normal processing time for PR card these days is just 98days (as verified by the CIC website as well) and to think that nobody can even go our of the country for 2yrs because they are waiting for their PR card. I called CIC but the agent said that they can't comment on any media release and she insisted that 98day is what should be expected by the customers. Also, there aren't any announcements made in the CIC website about this issue.

Is there any truth in this? I'm currently having a hard time planning my travel that had already been schedule since it will be after my PR card expires. I have the intension of renewing my PR card prior its expiration but if the processing will take years, I don't think I can go anywhere for important matters.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

Immigrants planning to travel abroad to visit relatives this summer are being warned to ensure they have valid travel documents or be prepared for lengthy delays to obtain new ones. Union representatives said Wednesday the delays will be the result of layoffs at a Nova Scotia office where travel documents are processed. Some 147 clerical workers on contract with a Sydney case processing centre have been given termination notices and most will be gone by Friday,said Alan Lennon, of the Canadian Employment and Immigration Union.Lennon said the facility processes permanent residency cards and applications for citizenship and skilled workers.

“It will take people longer to get their documents,” Lennon said on Wednesday.“People have to give themselves plenty of time to renew their documents.” Permanent residents —landed immigrants who haven't obtained citizenship—are being asked to check the expiry dates of their permanent residency cards if they're planning a trip. They cannot travel using an expired document and won't be allowed to board a return flight to Canada.

Union national president Jeannette Meunier-McKay said the wait time will increase from [size=10pt]18 months to 24 months[/size] due to the layoffs.

source: 24h Toronto, dated April 15, page 8 (Breaking News section) - I think this was also published in 24h Vancouver, just not sure of the details

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know how true this story is. I suspect that the 18 to 24 months would be for new PR applicants. However, I sometimes wonder why the Government chooses to make life hard for immigrants. What do they gain by making travel difficult?

Someone who already has a PR card and trying to renew it should not be a big deal since they already have the person's information. There is no reason why processing of PR cards should even take 3 months talk less of 18 or 24 months. Also there is no reason why citizenship applications should take 1 to 2 years. It's very frustrating...very.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
But there are many posts saying that the PR card arrived within a few weeks of landing. So where does this 18-24 months time period come from.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toby said:
But there are many posts saying that the PR card arrived within a few weeks of landing. So where does this 18-24 months time period come from.
Probably talking about citizenship, but the reporter didn't know the difference.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
Maybe processing from when u actually apply to immigrate (e.g. skilled worker) to when u are approved to land.

vylette

Apr 19, 2010
Yes, this is very frustrating and you are correct. The government already has the information and all they have to do is probably update the system and print a new card. 18-24months is so long just to renew something, what more for a PR card which is a travel document that many people in Canada uses as many are still permanent residents.

Alabaman said:
I don't know how true this story is. I suspect that the 18 to 24 months would be for new PR applicants. However, I sometimes wonder why the Government chooses to make life hard for immigrants. What do they gain by making travel difficult?

Someone who already has a PR card and trying to renew it should not be a big deal since they already have the person's information. There is no reason why processing of PR cards should even take 3 months talk less of 18 or 24 months. Also there is no reason why citizenship applications should take 1 to 2 years. It's very frustrating...very.

vylette

Apr 19, 2010
I suspect that too... that instead of referring to skilled workers, they might have focused on the PR card renewal. But on the other hand, some government officials had made comment specifically referring to the PR card.

Bummerrrrrr!!! so confusing! :-\

Alabaman said:
Maybe processing from when u actually apply to immigrate (e.g. skilled worker) to when u are approved to land.

Jan 1, 2011
First i would to say hellow and Happy new year ,,

Me was landed to Canada at 16 July with my family (my husband and my child) , I called The CIC office to give them the mailing address for us, Then I went back; together with my family; to Saudi Arabia for the work contract of my husband

The First problem that i didn't receive any information regarding the PR cards of my PR and my child. What i should do now??

We call the friend of my husband in canada and asq him to inform about the PR card of my child from cic because my child not an adult : they asq him to call after 6 months from 21/07/2010 They mean 21/01/2011 and some of the PR cards may be lost when they send it by mailbox ,and if the PR card did not reach in this period we must obtain the travel document to re issue the processing of PR card again

And that case of my child is the same of my case what can I do now ?? I will try to call the cic office in 21/01/2011 to inform about my PR card &my child If they asq me to re enter to canada

But I can’t travel and live in Canada this period with my child to re issue the PR card because my work as an architect with my husband in Saudi Arabia and his work as a doctor and we Plan to travel through the next three years

In this case what can I do ??

The second problem iam asq about the risk of my case and my child if I hold the travel to canada (re enter ) two years with no PR card and when will we travel we will obtain the travel document If this possible ??

my husband and he obtained his PRcard by mail box for us in Canada in 15 october in 2010 can we get the travel document to re enter to Canada me and my child with my husband when he travel to Canada may be after two years

finally How long can I spend out side Canada with no pr card ?? is that risk

please answer me ,,

waiting your reply

eng,marwa gouda