+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Mother is Canadian but never registered in the C. Consulate

FormatC

Nov 18, 2008
Libra:

Hello this is my first post.

I have this problem or question :

My Grandmother born in Canada (Montreal) and she married a peruvian, after her sons & doughters born she never registered them in the Canadian Consulate as canadian parent born in overseas territory.

She (my Grandmother) pass away in 1977 but always was a canadian citizen (eventhough she lived outside Canada)

Is there anything that my mother who born before 1947? have a Canadian citizenship throught her mother? ,is there any chance?, I've read something about the Lost Canadians, but seems that this doesn't apply.
Recently my mother went to the canadian consulate and some personnel in charge tell her that nothing could be done...

I need some advice if something could be done, I can't find any advice regards this matter.

Any help would be appreciated

Best Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are some new rules coming, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules-citizenship.asp but that would only help your mother if she was born in 1947 or later. Since she was born before then she can either believe the consulate when they say nothing can be done or she can try contacting the nearest embassy or even try to apply for certificate of citizenship directly at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp and see what happens.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

FormatC said:
Libra:

Hello this is my first post.

I have this problem or question :

My Grandmother born in Canada (Montreal) and she married a peruvian, after her sons & doughters born she never registered them in the Canadian Consulate as canadian parent born in overseas territory.

She (my Grandmother) pass away in 1977 but always was a canadian citizen (eventhough she lived outside Canada)

Is there anything that my mother who born before 1947? have a Canadian citizenship throught her mother? ,is there any chance?, I've read something about the Lost Canadians, but seems that this doesn't apply.
Recently my mother went to the canadian consulate and some personnel in charge tell her that nothing could be done...

I need some advice if something could be done, I can't find any advice regards this matter.

Any help would be appreciated

Best Regards
Complete the retention questionnaire here :http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/retain-eligibility.asp to determine if you have to apply to retain citizenship.

PMM

FormatC

Nov 18, 2008
Leon:

Let me explain better the issue:

Mi Grandma born in Montreal on 1909, after some years, she moved to Peru and married her husband, by that time remember that no double citizenship was allowed (after the marriage the woman adquires the husband citizenship).
This wedlock have 6 sons (3 boys & 3 sisters), 1 of them is my mother...

Well, before my granma pass away (1977) she get her Canadian Passport in 1975 (a blue one, I have it with me), she never returned to Montreal or Canada.

After several years we found all her papers and passport and before we (me, my mother and her other sister) went to the Canadian Consulate in Perú, I read some about the canadian citizenship to see if we can do something.

I read in all the official sites ( the links you sent me where among of them) and all the dates that I read relates to AFTER 1947 or 1977.

My mother born on 1937 and she never was registered in the Canadian embassy/consulate as a daughter of canadian mother.

The day we went to the Canadian Consulate we talked to a employee, listen our case, handed the law about Lost Canadians , she went to another room to "talk to the embassador" (very fast) and returned and said: "You don't have the right to be a Canadian", and I tell : "My Grandma born in Montreal, look her Canadian Passport" , "I think my mother as well her sibling have the right", isn't it?.

- No, I'm sorry answered the employee...

Well.... I'm very dissapointed, I can't believed, there's something that I can do? or the age or dates are against my mother?.

Sorry for my english, I tried to explain the best I can.

Libra:

I've read the retention questionnaire and I've some doubt about this question:

4) Is one of your parents a Canadian citizen because he or she
a) was born outside Canada between January 1, 1947

.../ although eligible to be registered as a Canadian citizen at birth, was not registered until after February 14, 1977?

Well, my mother born in Perú in 1937, Is she "out of the game" because of this date?, remember (as I try to explain some paragraphs above, that my granma never register their sons & sisters (the man of the house have the last word... not like today that you do what you like or think).

These are my doubts.... Can my mother and her siblings can do something? is there any law or similar case that you guys know similar to this?, My personal point of view I think they (my mother and her siblings) have the right...

Thanks for your time and patience to read my case.

Best Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can not tell you anything more than I already did. The immigration website talks about people born after 1947. It does not say anything about being born before 1947. She can try the consulate again and hope for a better answer.

FormatC

Nov 18, 2008
Thanks Leon for your promptly help.

I'll try again with your recomendation to see if I have more luck.

lostcanadians

Nov 21, 2008
FYI, I am in the same situation, but a new law provides an answer

From the CIC Website
New citizenship rules

A new law will come into effect no later than April 17, 2009, amending the Citizenship Act. The new law will give Canadian citizenship to certain individuals who lost it and to others who will be recognized as citizens for the first time. Citizenship will be automatic and retroactive to the date of loss or date of birth, depending on the situation. People will not have to apply for citizenship, but may need to apply for a citizenship certificate to prove their citizenship. Individuals who are Canadian citizens at the time the law comes into effect will keep their citizenship.

We have created a forum for all people who are affected by this bill. Please join us at:
http://lostcanadians.ning.com/forum

You may see more on the law and a list of who WILL and who WILL NOT become a Canadian under the law at
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules-citizenship.asp