+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother is Canadian

Fishcounter

Apr 9, 2008
My mother is Canadian but has lived in US since I was born......40 years. I am interested in becoming a dual citizen but have learned that my window of opp closed a few years ago. I also understand that there is legislation in Parliament (please excuse my poor understanding or Canadian Gov.) that may allow me to become a dual citizen in the near future. Can someone point me in the right direction (where can I follow this process?). Much thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Fishcounter said:
My mother is Canadian but has lived in US since I was born......40 years. I am interested in becoming a dual citizen but have learned that my window of opp closed a few years ago. I also understand that there is legislation in Parliament (please excuse my poor understanding or Canadian Gov.) that may allow me to become a dual citizen in the near future. Can someone point me in the right direction (where can I follow this process?). Much thanks.
You are probably a citizen. see; http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/retain.asp

PMM

Fishcounter

Apr 9, 2008
Thanks PMM but it doesn't appear that simple. It appears that I should have retained citizenship before 28 years of age. Unfortunantely I did not. I'm still looking for the legislation that is intended to change this limitation that is currently in review. Anyone know how I can follow it along?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Fishcounter said:
Thanks PMM but it doesn't appear that simple. It appears that I should have retained citizenship before 28 years of age. Unfortunantely I did not. I'm still looking for the legislation that is intended to change this limitation that is currently in review. Anyone know how I can follow it along?
No that retention applies to the second generation. That is persons who were born to a Canadian citizen outside Canada and their parent was born outside Canada, had to apply for retention. For example if you Mother had been born in the US and then emigrated to Canada and became a Canadian citizen after 1947, then she returned to the US where you born, then you would have had to apply for retention before your 28th birthday.

From the CIC website

"You do not have to retain citizenship if:

* you were born in Canada
* you were granted Canadian citizenship (become a Canadian citizen or naturalized as a Canadian citizen)
* you were born outside Canada, but one of your parents was born in Canada or
* you were born outside Canada after one parent was granted Canadian citizenship

You should apply for a proof of citizenship

PMM