+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Marksheet for Citizenship Test

neha.g30

Star Member
Jun 6, 2012
Hi

For language proficiency test, I have submitted my degrees and marksheets. In citizenship test , I have to carry all originals.

It seems I have lost 1 out of 8 original marksheets. What are next steps that I can do.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
At my interview I didn’t need to provide any language proficiency document.

I think that my spoken English was enough to convince the officer. Probably I would be asked to provide a document if my command of the language wouldn’t be adequate.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For language proficiency test, I have submitted my degrees and marksheets. In citizenship test , I have to carry all originals.

It seems I have lost 1 out of 8 original marksheets. What are next steps that I can do.
The PI Interview includes an assessment/verification of the applicant's ability in one of the official languages.

IRCC requires documents showing ability in one of the official languages in order to make a "complete" application for citizenship.

In addition to that, the applicant (if not exempt) must satisfy the interviewer, in the PI Interview (the interview attendant test events), the applicant meets the language requirement in actual conversation. Documents purporting to show ability in a language will NOT suffice.

The relevant PDI states:
The purpose of the interview is to verify the applicant’s identity, authenticate photocopies of documents on file with originals that are presented at the interview, and obtain information to determine if the requirements for a grant of citizenship have been met, including screening for language ability, if applicable.

Note in particular that part of the interviewer's role is to "obtain information to determine if the requirements for a grant of citizenship have been met" . . . and this includes "SCREENING FOR LANGUAGE ABILITY." (Emphasis and caps added.)

This is a quote from the PDI about citizenship interviews; see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/interviewing-adult-applicants.html

Thus the experience reported by @sistemc is typical . . .

At my interview I didn’t need to provide any language proficiency document.

I think that my spoken English was enough to convince the officer. Probably I would be asked to provide a document if my command of the language wouldn’t be adequate.
Except, again, if the applicant's command of the language is inadequate, documents will not suffice. In particular, the PDI linked above also provides that the applicant may be referred to a hearing with a Citizenship Officer
". . . if an official feels that the applicant cannot understand or express basic information in one of the official languages (despite the provision of language evidence at the time of application)"​

The "official" in this context is the interviewer.

In other words, generally the interviewer does not review the applicant's original proof of language but, rather, the interview itself is a test of the applicant's ability in either English or French.

hellen119119

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
I took the test and interview last week, they checked my original ielts sheet, so good to have it or think about how to explain in advance

cursor18

May 31, 2015
I took the test and interview last week, they checked my original ielts sheet, so good to have it or think about how to explain in advance
I just realized that my original IELTS sheet has been laminated. Is this acceptable as an 'Original' document?
I remember reading that laminated documents may not be considered as 'Original' in its true sense, as the document has undergone superficial changes

Any experience from anyone where document could not be deemed 'Original' due to lamination?
I could find no such requirement/evidence on the CIC website/instruction guide

kk2018

Oct 24, 2018
Hi

Hi Neha,
Your degree certificate is enough, if they ask they will just check degree certificate.