+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Indonesian in Japan] Visitor Visa Application Rejected 2x

Maine5413712

Jul 22, 2018
Good afternoon everyone,

I am really in an awful situation right now. My visa has been rejected twice due to the following reasons:

1. Travel History
2. Family ties in Canada and in country of residence
3. Current employment situation

I am originally from Indonesia, but currently is pursuing my degree in a university in Japan. All of my financial status (school fee, etc.) is supported by the Japanese Government. I intended to visit Canada for two weeks during my summer vacation, for the purpose of touring and also to visit my dear friend as well.

I understand that right now I am still considered as "unemployed" due to my status as a student, but I am working part time as a Bahasa Indonesia teacher in a well-established institute. I have included the following attachment :

Application for Temporary Resident Visa (IMM 5257)
Family Information Form (IMM5707)
Family card (Translated)
Invitation letter from a friend who lives in Canada + copy of her ID card

Japanese ID, Student ID, Indonesian ID
Proof of student status , employment status
School : Temporary leave notification (APPROVED by Supervisor)
Work : Days off request form (APPROVED by Scheduler & Manager)

Purpose of visit
Itinerary & Trip Details
Flight booking
Hotel bookings

Bank book copy (Translated) approx $22,000 CAD in total as per June 2018
Proof of scholarship grant approx. $1,400 CAD/month
Pay slip for June 2018

Travel history
I have travelled to these countries for the past years,
Europe (Visa needed) , Singapore, South Korea (Visa needed) , Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia.

Because I am currently living in Japan, I am applying through the Canadian Visa Office in Manila (because Japanese don't need visa to enter Canada). I am so confused of the reasons why I am being refused 2x already, can somebody help me give light to this problem? The thing is I can't refund my ticket, so if I failed to obtain my visa, my ticket money will go to waste..

Please seniors members I need your help on this, hoping for your reply, thank you :)
@Bryanna @canuck78

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

I am really in an awful situation right now. My visa has been rejected twice due to the following reasons:

1. Travel History
2. Family ties in Canada and in country of residence
3. Current employment situation
When did you apply?

I am originally from Indonesia, but currently is pursuing my degree in a university in Japan. All of my financial status (school fee, etc.) is supported by the Japanese Government. I intended to visit Canada for two weeks during my summer vacation, for the purpose of touring and also to visit my dear friend as well.
Is your friend more than a friend?

I understand that right now I am still considered as "unemployed" due to my status as a student, but I am working part time as a Bahasa Indonesia teacher in a well-established institute.
Your part-time employment is allowed for your student visa, right?

Family card (Translated)
Do you live with family members in Japan?
Are you married and/or have minor children and/or dependent parents?

Invitation letter from a friend who lives in Canada + copy of her ID card
She should have also included a copy of her passport + immigration status in Canada.

Japanese ID, Student ID, Indonesian ID
Proof of student status , employment status
School : Temporary leave notification (APPROVED by Supervisor)
You should also include evidence of tuition fees paid for the current/next academic year + that your studies are fully sponsored by the Japanese government + prints of your school website including contact pages + campus accommodation/leased accommodation.

When does your study program end?
Do you need to return to Japan to defend your thesis, for example?

Work : Days off request form (APPROVED by Scheduler & Manager)
Also, 3-4 pay stubs

Purpose of visit
Itinerary & Trip Details
Flight booking
Hotel bookings
Did you include a detailed day-by-day plan for your visit (sightseeing, activities, meeting your friend, etc) with expense estimates?

Bank book copy (Translated) approx $22,000 CAD in total as per June 2018
Proof of scholarship grant approx. $1,400 CAD/month
Was any of the money in your bank account borrowed from someone?
IMO, the scholarship of CAD 1,400 won't cover your living expenses in Japan. So, did you prove how you are able to manage financially?
Do you have any financial investments in Indonesia and/or Japan?

Do you own property or land in Indonesia?

Travel history
I have travelled to these countries for the past years,
Europe (Visa needed) , Singapore, South Korea (Visa needed) , Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia.
Travels to the home country are not considered.

You should also include a Travel History explanation (tabular format, last 10 years): Visa details + entry/exit dates + purpose of each visit

How long did you stay when you visited Europe? Which countries in Europe?

The thing is I can't refund my ticket, so if I failed to obtain my visa, my ticket money will go to waste..
Unfortunately, it's not a good idea to book tickets in advance

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Try to negotiate with the airline for a refund/points conversion/rebooking to another destination because of two visa refusals. More often than not, they will consider.

Just my personal observation, unfortunately, it is also hard for Indonesians to be granted TRVs in general.

Maine5413712

Jul 22, 2018
Thank you for your reply

@Bryanna
here's the answer to some of your question
1. I applied on
First time : June 4th 2018, got back rejected on June 25th 2018
Second time : July 3th 2018, got back rejected on July 18th 2018

2. Yes, she is a friend I've known for 4 years. She explained that in her invitation letter as well.

3. Yes, my part time employment is allowed for my student visa, I didn't explain that because I think it should be fine. Would it be better if I explain it to the officer the next time I re-apply?

4. No, I don't have any family members in Japan (that's why I suspect the officer rejected me). I am not yet married and I don't have any dependent family members. But I have attached temporary leave notifications from both school and work to prove that I will get back to Japan as soon as I finished visiting. Do you have any idea what should I add to that to strongly prove my ties to Japan?

5. She included her immigration status (which is PR), but we did not include her passport. Okay, the next time I re-apply, I will ask my friend to include her passport too then.

6. I have included certificate showing my scholarship (120,000JPY/month = $1,400CAD/month) will be given to me until March 2019, and in that certificate it is written that my studies are suported by the Japanese Government.
What I did not include : Prints of my school website and contact pages, Campus accomodation
In my student ID, it is written that my school year will end in March 2019.
Yes, I need to return for my thesis, I did not write that explicitly but I have already attached a temporary leave notification signed by my Professor.

7. I only include 1 pay check. I will include 4 pay checks the next time I re-apply.

8. Yes, I included a detailed day-by-day plan, and I discussed the plans with my friend so I think my plan is quite detailed.
I didn't include expense estimates, but I wrote $8,000 in the IMM form.

9. @Bryanna the question is, how to prove that I am able to manage financially? I saved up my scholarship and part-time salary to that bank account for 4 years, that's why I have that amount in my money. I don't have any financial investments in Indonesia/Japan (I am living in my school dorm in Japan).

10. I travelled to Spain & Italy for approx. 1 month last year. I did not overstay in either countries. I summarized my travel history in a tabular format (last 3 years only) with visa details, entry/exit dates.

Thank you for your kind reply, I hope I still have time to get my visa.. Fingers crossed!

Maine5413712

Jul 22, 2018
Try to negotiate with the airline for a refund/points conversion/rebooking to another destination because of two visa refusals. More often than not, they will consider.

Just my personal observation, unfortunately, it is also hard for Indonesians to be granted TRVs in general.
Yes, because Indonesia is also known for their illegal immigrants (sadly). I am not sure that will work, I am thinking of re-applying my visa for the third time, but if I got rejected again, I will discuss the refund of the plane ticket then. Thank you! @bellaluna

Maine5413712

Jul 22, 2018
Hi @bellaluna and @Bryanna
here's the complete information of my 2 refusal letters :

1. Rejection date June 21, 2018
Reasons : Travel history, Family ties, Current employment situation

2. Rejection date July 13, 2018
Reasons : Immigration status in country of residence, Employment prospects in country of residence, Current employment situation, Personal assets and financial status

It looks like they are just ticking different boxes to deny my tourist visa..