+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Include my wife's passport in application to CPC?

guesser

May 3, 2008
Hello,

I'll be submitting the sponsorship and permanent residency (family class) application for my wife to the CPC in Mississauga soon. She sent me her Chinese passport so that I can include it with the application. Should I include the passport?

From what I have read, the instructions make no mention of submitting an actual passport. However, I know that the visa will need to be stamped upon approval (frustratingly, I haven't found details for how and when they exactly need the passport). She lives in a town in China which is inconveniently far from any place where her passport would need to be submitted. It seems to me that including it could save time.. but is this true? Are there any benefits or concerns about including the passport?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

guesser said:
Hello,

I'll be submitting the sponsorship and permanent residency (family class) application for my wife to the CPC in Mississauga soon. She sent me her Chinese passport so that I can include it with the application. Should I include the passport?

From what I have read, the instructions make no mention of submitting an actual passport. However, I know that the visa will need to be stamped upon approval (frustratingly, I haven't found details for how and when they exactly need the passport). She lives in a town in China which is inconveniently far from any place where her passport would need to be submitted. It seems to me that including it could save time.. but is this true? Are there any benefits or concerns about including the passport?

Thanks
No, if you read the instructions, it says copies. The overseas office processing the application will request the actual passport for the visa. Dont send Mississauga the passport.

PMM

guesser

May 3, 2008
PMM said:
Hi

guesser said:
Hello,

Thanks
No, if you read the instructions, it says copies. The overseas office processing the application will request the actual passport for the visa. Dont send Mississauga the passport.

PMM
Thanks for the quick reply. I was aware that it says copies and that it should/will be the overseas office that needs the passport in the future for stamping. However, I also know that the Canadian government is generally very cautious about allowing one's passport to fall into another person's possession (even some spouses are bad) and wouldn't be the type to suggest it unless absolutely necessary. I'm the person holding the passport and I'm trustworthy though. My reasoning is that they wouldn't suggest to include the passport even if it's in fact helpful. If people have included a passport in the past and it's been successful, I'd be happy to hear about it.. but now I'm leaning toward mailing it back to my wife in China, which she'll then in turn need to get to Chinese processing (which doesn't seem like a pleasant prospect -- hence my weighing of the two options).

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
You don't have 2 options. Immigration states the requirements that we are to follow. Than is the ONLY option!!! Follow the immigration guide or you will find your applications being delayed or rejected. You cannot benefit your cause but by reading your guide carefully and following EVERY LITTLE DETAIL that you find in the instructions.

Best wishes!!!!
RGV

guesser

May 3, 2008
rgvinson777 said:
You don't have 2 options. Immigration states the requirements that we are to follow. Than is the ONLY option!!! Follow the immigration guide or you will find your applications being delayed or rejected. You cannot benefit your cause but by reading your guide carefully and following EVERY LITTLE DETAIL that you find in the instructions.

Best wishes!!!!
RGV
The instructions say to include a copy of the passport, so I am doing that. The instructions did not however say to not include the passport. I agree with you here and am trying to do what I can to adhere to the instructions.. but I would have laid out the information differently if I were them to make matters more clear and remove the painful decisions (with the way it's worded, there are still many decisions and assumptions.. don't get me started on the "additional family information" page). Everyone has their own pet mysteries about this immigration process.

I suppose "You don't have 2 options" is a good philosophy for a lot of this. I'm tearing my hair out all the time with this. If I just make my mind be quiet and pack the things up I'll be feeling better.

edit: sorry, it was the "details of family members" page that has confusing and logically contradictory instructions unless you make some assumptions. The "additional family information" page is the one where the applicant needs to be extra careful about where to sign or not sign -- it was a little tricky for my wife to do in a second language.

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
I understand how you feel about the whole thing with getting the application and supporting documents together and ready to submit. Some of the questions aren't specifically clear. I was admonished on this blog to "Don't overthink things" myself. I was trying too read their minds about their purposes for their questions and requirements. However, they specifically require a "copy" of the passport. Send it! If they wanted the actual passport , they would ask you so send it. Don't overthink it.