+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing belongins to Canada

puigi

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
Hi everyone!

My wife and I arrive in Canada as PRs in late 2019 from Mexico. We were supposed to return to pick up some of the stuff we left in Mexico the following year, but the pandemic and the price of flights prevented us from doing so. We are returning to Mexico in a few weeks for a quick visit and are trying to see if we can bring our belongings to Canada.

We were wondering if anyone can help us to clarify some questions that we have:

1) We think there was a period of a year after becoming PRs to import things exempt from taxes. However, since all the items we intend to ship are used, we wondered if anybody has any experience importing their items from Canada years after becoming PRs.

2) Does anyone have any experience using a shipping company from Mexico?

3) We were also wondering if anybody has done something similar (bringing belongings years after their landing in Canada), are there any tips on dealing with customs in Canada that you could share with us?

Thank you and I hope you are all having a great start to the year in this freezing cold!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone!

My wife and I arrive in Canada as PRs in late 2019 from Mexico. We were supposed to return to pick up some of the stuff we left in Mexico the following year, but the pandemic and the price of flights prevented us from doing so. We are returning to Mexico in a few weeks for a quick visit and are trying to see if we can bring our belongings to Canada.

We were wondering if anyone can help us to clarify some questions that we have:

1) We think there was a period of a year after becoming PRs to import things exempt from taxes. However, since all the items we intend to ship are used, we wondered if anybody has any experience importing their items from Canada years after becoming PRs.

2) Does anyone have any experience using a shipping company from Mexico?

3) We were also wondering if anybody has done something similar (bringing belongings years after their landing in Canada), are there any tips on dealing with customs in Canada that you could share with us?

Thank you and I hope you are all having a great start to the year in this freezing cold!!
Are those stuff you intend to pick up from Mexico are still in your BSF186 list (if you submitted it during your landing and they stamped it)? If no, they you will have to esimate the value and finger crossed if you need to pay any duty.