+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC ---> PEQ?

Antoine

Nov 13, 2016
I have the points to qualify now, as someone who's never lived/worked in Canada, to qualify for QSW but from reading through about 30 forum pages of posts + CIC site, it seems that the wait time from applying to actually being able to move via that route could be very long.

Ideally I'd like to live in Quebec, but although my French tests very well (largely bc I also speak Spanish & Italian) my real-life, practical French ability level is much lower. For this reason I was considering applying for IEC and living in Gatineau. This way I could work in an appropriate NOC job in Ottawa for the first few months while intensively cramming French to get myself up to speed, then looking for a Gatineau-based job as soon as I felt my language skills were office-ready.

If I were to do this, is the wait time for QSW much shorter if I'm applying from within the province vs the amount of time it would take for someone applying from within the US? (so, in other words, that coming on IEC and applying for QSW once there would be a good idea)?

Or would I be better off waiting until I was on my second IEC visa and therefore had 12+ months of Quebec work experience so that I could apply for PEQ? Thank you very much for any thoughts you might have on this.