+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to check the status of PR?

Jan 15, 2015
Hi,

my father is a canadian citizen, he always told me that I have a PR-Status. He gave me my record of landing from 1987 and two cards. The first one is from "Régie de l'assurance-maladie du Québec" and my Social Insurance Number card both with my name on it. I don't know if it's just a visa, because I was a little child in 1987 or if I got the PR-Status.

Who can help me? Or are these cards already an evidence, that I got the Permanent Resident-Status when I was a child? And if yes, do I have to renew it?

This information is important for me, because I'm planning to immigrate to Canada again.

Thanks for any help!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may have had PR status and may still do if it was never officially revoked but if you left Canada and did not return for many years, you would no longer meet the residency requirements. However, if you apply for your immigration, this will come out and they will then ask you to renounce your old PR in order for your immigration to go forward.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polara69 said:
Since his dad is Canadian, what are the chances of him being Canadian, too?
If his dad told him he's PR, it's unlikely that he is a citizen. His dad likely immigrated to Canada with the family and stayed on as the rest of the family left and gained citizenship only for himself.

When you get citizenship, they also stamp your record of landing.

Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, i won't get the citizenship, because my father got a canadian citizen after I was born. My younger brothers and sisters however could get the citizenship. That is what my father told me.

Do I have any benefits for the immigration when I got the PR-status as a young child? And why must I renounce my old PR-status, Leon? And how about my steady - does she earn any benefits from my status or only if we're married? We're from Germany.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
unluckystuntman said:
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, i won't get the citizenship, because my father got a canadian citizen after I was born. My younger brothers and sisters however could get the citizenship. That is what my father told me.

Do I have any benefits for the immigration when I got the PR-status as a young child? And why must I renounce my old PR-status, Leon? And how about my steady - does she earn any benefits from my status or only if we're married? We're from Germany.
As for old PR status vs. new immigration, there are a couple of ways to try to revive an old PR status.

1) If you are very young, early 20's, you could attempt reviving your PR status by applying for a PR travel document based on Humanitarian grounds that you were removed from Canada as a minor by a parent and are returning to Canada first chance after becoming an adult. If accepted, you may return to Canada and keep your PR. You can sponsor your partner if you have been living together as a couple for 12 months or longer. If your application for a travel document is refused, your PR will officially be revoked.

2) You could enter Canada with your old landing document and see what happens. If you get reported for not meeting the residency requirements, you will likely lose your PR. However, if you don't get reported, you can put your PR status back in good standing by staying for 2 years. During the two year period, you can not apply for a PR card or sponsor your partner. You will also face some difficulties living in Canada as a PR without a valid PR card. You may be asked for it when registering for health care, getting a drivers license, applying for a job etc. After the two years are up, you meet the RO again and can apply for a PR card.

If these methods are not working for you, there is nothing left but apply for immigration from scratch. In that case, you get no points having had PR as a child. However, because you are still officially PR, you can not get your immigration as a new PR without renouncing the old one so that will come up during your application process.