+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Green card holder applying for PR in Canada

rumi

Feb 14, 2009
Hello,
I am a green card holder of US but I want to get a PR of Canada.So, I want to know the process for it .How long does it take to get a PR for me?I am unmarried but I've a boyfriend in my home country not in US as he is not a green card holder of US.So, if I apply for PR,do I immediately have to get married or can I marry after the process starts or can I marry after I get the PR.Which is the better one? I've completed Master's Degree and I also have3 years of working experience.So, what are the other process for me to get a PR in Canada and how much does it cost?Please ,somebody help me.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rumi said:
Hello,
I am a green card holder of US but I want to get a PR of Canada.So, I want to know the process for it .How long does it take to get a PR for me?I am unmarried but I've a boyfriend in my home country not in US as he is not a green card holder of US.So, if I apply for PR,do I immediately have to get married or can I marry after the process starts or can I marry after I get the PR.Which is the better one? I've completed Master's Degree and I also have3 years of working experience.So, what are the other process for me to get a PR in Canada and how much does it cost?Please ,somebody help me.
1. First of all you have to find out if you qualify. You must have at least 1 years work experience in the "list" of 38 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2008/2008-11-28a.asp to qualify for FSW 1 You also require 67 points in the assessment.
2. If you don't qualify for FSW 1 you need either to have been working in Canada for 1 year or have an employer who is able to obtain an Approved Employment option see; http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp
3. As to your boyfriend whether you marry before you apply, during the application (you then have to add your spouse to the application) or after you "land" it makes little difference, other than you may receive additional adaptation points.

PMM

abhi_hola

Star Member
Nov 16, 2008
is it possible (legally) to hold PR status of 2 countries simultaneously?
Logically we should not be able to, however, if I have intent of settling ultimately in either or both countries, I should be legally tenable to hold simultaneous PRs in 2 diff countries;
your thoughts!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible to hold PR of both countries simultaneously but they have different residency rules. US immigration can take away your green card as soon as they believe that you have permanently moved to another country. In former years some people kept their green cards for years by coming to the US every 6 months but now they watch it more closely how long you are staying. For Canada PR, you need to be in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years. If you stayed 6 months a year in each country, you could probably keep both.

brijesh.darji

Jul 12, 2009
sydney
applying for PR in Canada

hello, i m Brijesh Darji from Sydney. right now i m on student visa in Sydney, i want to apply for pr in Canada. but i don't know how to to apply , i was finished my B COM in India in year 2000, after i was doing a job in india .and in march 2008 i got student visa for Australia so right now i m here in Sydney , in Sydney i m doing diploma in IT, i already finished my certy 4 , i m also married and i have also one kid ,he is four year old . so how can i apply and after i get the pr in Canada. i hope you reply asap.

Thanks & Regards

Brijesh.Darji

+61433992007

Sydney