+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign/UAE driving license in BC

Sonikell

Apr 24, 2023
Hey!

I have been driving in the UAE for nearly 20 years(light vehicle license,manual transmission) and moving to BC soon. I am aware that Canada/BC doesn’t have a reciprocity agreement with the UAE so I am required to go through some hoops before I can drive.

As far as I know a knowledge test and a road test is needed in this case for a class 5 license.

How easy was it for anyone from the UAE to procure a driving experience letter from the northern emirates(I know dubai Rta has it is easy but my license is not from dubai)?

secondly, how did you find driving in bc/testing procedure versus driving in the uae.

lastly, how are the insurance rates for us newcomers?

Any info/personal experience would be great.

cheers

Jith87

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
Canada
Category........
FSW
You can get the drivers abstract from MOI app.. it will cost you only 50 or 100 Aed, I am not sure about the price. Insurance will be higher as a new comer in Canada, i moved last year from UAE to Ontario, driving test is not that difficult, that's what I felt. Rules and regulations are different , better to take some driving classes before your road test and you are good to go.

Reactions: Sonikell

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can get the drivers abstract from MOI app.. it will cost you only 50 or 100 Aed, I am not sure about the price. Insurance will be higher as a new comer in Canada, i moved last year from UAE to Ontario, driving test is not that difficult, that's what I felt. Rules and regulations are different , better to take some driving classes before your road test and you are good to go.
To qualify for insurance discounts, they are looking for a "no-claims" letter from your previous insurance provider.

Reactions: Sonikell

Sonikell

Apr 24, 2023
Thanks for the advice, I’ll check out the moi app.

no claims is a bit challenging since we have so many options in the uae I’ve changed my provider nearly every year or two. From what I hear ICBC premiums are bonkers

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the advice, I’ll check out the moi app.

no claims is a bit challenging since we have so many options in the uae I’ve changed my provider nearly every year or two. From what I hear ICBC premiums are bonkers
Basic auto insurance is a monopoly in BC. Yet, there are many brokers.