+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding management position as a newcomer

hawk333

Aug 14, 2017
Hello All,
I just got my Canadian PR. It was a long journey I had to go through, during which I also worked on my career in Asia (not my home country). Today, I am holding a middle management position (Head of Software Development). I hold Master's degree and I have more than 10 years of experience in IT. I read a lot about the difficulties of finding jobs in Canada for newcomers and how Canadian experience is almost always an issue. Looking at it from my perspective, I see I have additional challenge, which is trying to apply for management position without the Canadian experience.

I want to tap into your experience. What are the chances of finding management positions in Canada in IT? Is this impossible and I should try to not waste my time and approach it differently (e.g. lower positions, different scope etc.)? Any useful resources/materials in this area?

PS.: I am planning to move to Canada in few months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,
I just got my Canadian PR. It was a long journey I had to go through, during which I also worked on my career in Asia (not my home country). Today, I am holding a middle management position (Head of Software Development). I hold Master's degree and I have more than 10 years of experience in IT. I read a lot about the difficulties of finding jobs in Canada for newcomers and how Canadian experience is almost always an issue. Looking at it from my perspective, I see I have additional challenge, which is trying to apply for management position without the Canadian experience.

I want to tap into your experience. What are the chances of finding management positions in Canada in IT? Is this impossible and I should try to not waste my time and approach it differently (e.g. lower positions, different scope etc.)? Any useful resources/materials in this area?

PS.: I am planning to move to Canada in few months.
Honestly it will likely be more difficult to get hired in a management position without Canadian experience but what type of work history you have and for what company will have a big impact. If you have experience from a large or well known tech company your management experience is likely to be more recognized. I would look at companies where there are opportunities for upward movement. We do see that some may need to take a step back in their career initially but will then move up faster than other workers in similar positions once they have proven themselves to the employer. It is very hard to make generalizations. Many immigrants are coming from well known techs or multinationals and some having worked in a few other countries before. The interview will also affect management positions since work place culture can be different in different countries.

Reactions: hawk333