+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does dual US-Canada residence status disqualifies the Canadian citizenship App?

parpari

Sep 29, 2009
Hello there:
I have been in Canada as a student for the past 5.5 years and I got my PR status in Canada as of May 2008. Right after I submitted my PR application in 2007 I won the US Green Card in DV-Lottery an I have a US Green Card as of Nov. 2009. Now I have both US and Canada PR status.

I am still in Canada and I will apply for citizenship in August 2010 (1095 days of physical presence will be complete then according to the CIC calculator).

My question is will I be given hard time, or probably be rejected, applying for Canadian citizenship because I have a US Green Card? I might go to US next year for 2 years to continue my studies but I want to come back to Canada after that.

I appreciate it if anyone can share the experience or help me with this.

Thank you very much,
p.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think your US green card will affect it. You have the right to apply for citizenship, you are living in Canada. There is no law that says you can't have a US PR too. If you moved to the US while your citizenship is still pending, it could delay your application because they might decide to ask you what your plans are but I don't think it would cause you to get refused.

You should be careful to visit the US a lot though to keep your US green card. Officially you can not be outside the US for more than a year but actually they can take it at any time if they believe you are not permanently living in the US.