+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Choose Province You Apply From

Flandernss

Mar 5, 2019
Hello everyone,

I see in this forum that processing times vary from one province to another.

It seems Alberta is the fastest?

That said, could one, based on a more flexible address situation, chose or influence the choice of its processing location?

I guess so... but would be interested in your opinion.

For instance, someone got 1035 physical presence in Montreal as PR then moved to New York City. He then uses his vacations time in Canada until he reaches the 1095 physical presence days. Could this person apply from Alberta?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hello everyone,

That said, could one, based on a more flexible address situation, chose or influence the choice of its processing location?

For instance, someone got 1035 physical presence in Montreal as PR then moved to New York City. He then uses his vacations time in Canada until he reaches the 1095 physical presence days. Could this person apply from Alberta?
if you don't have an address in Alberta, how do you apply from there? Your residency calculator will have to show your address in each location, including your address in NYC, and unless you can accumulate the needed 60 days within the first 6 months of your move to NYC, you'd also need to provide police clearance from FBI, which adds an extra 3-4 months to the wait time. Also, based on personal experience of many people I know, record of having lived in the US for work seems to correlate to longer processing time regardless of where you apply from

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Not worth to even think about it.
The citizenship is a lifetime thing, a couple months difference in average between, say, Moose Jaw and Chicoutimi shouldn't alter someone's life.
Also, you never know, your application could have a very short processing in a "slow province", or a very long one in a "fast" province.
Send your application where you live, move on with your life, wait for the call, it will come.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
As I have observed in the forum, timeline of 12 months is pretty typical across all provinces.
Like others mentioned above, it is not worth to apply from another province and gamble the processing time. There's one case in the forum that I remember. S/he changed provinces in the middle of the process and did not change driver license, they had a hard time with the interview officer. Your address is tied to your residence, work and ID. If information is contradicting, it can only lead to more headaches.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hello everyone,

Let's just say: good luck misrepresenting your place of residence in a citizenship application. No matter how fast you get your citizenship through such a "trick", it's a great way to put in in jeopardy for a lifetime.

Apart from that: as the others said.