+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any chance for me to have my PR card renewed

pzhang

Aug 3, 2014
My case is special. As mentioned in the subject line, I was wondering if there is any chance for me to get my PR card renewed.

My PR card expired last year, 3 years after I left Canada. Currently, I am on a J1 visa getting my medical residency training done in US. I will finish up my training by June 30th, 2015. I have an offer from a great place for an additional fellowship year. I am hoping to return to Canada to work after the training. For my J1 visa, Health Canada wrote me a letter (statement of need) 3 years ago. My initial plan was to let my wife become a Canadian Citizen first, so she can accompany me in US, and I can hold up my PR status. Her application got messed up and put aside for 3 years. She and my two daughters live in Canada now (went back to Canada 2 months ago). In June, she finally took the Citizenship test and is waiting for the ceremony.

Since we have a Canadian Address, I am thinking to renew my PR card and let VO to decide if he/she wants to take my PR status away or not. Another option is that I can apply for Travel document.

Which route should I go through? Any chance for me? The situation is pretty miserable.

Thanks in advance !!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can also apply for a travel document which is a more direct way to lose your PR if that is what you want. After having lost your PR, your wife can sponsor you as long as her PR is still in good standing (she meets the RO) and she is living in Canada.

Since you are residing in the US, you can opt for outland sponsorship through Ottawa which is relatively fast. You should have your new PR in a few months.

There is another option which is waiting until you finish your training and then trying to enter Canada by land with your landing papers and expired card. If they report you, you can appeal it. You can stay in Canada during your appeal processing which may take 1-2 years. If you lose your PR, you would be asked to leave but your wife can sponsor you again.

If you don't get reported, you can simply stay for 2 years, RO will be met again and then you apply to renew your PR card. You may however have problems staying in Canada with an expired card with getting a drivers license, health care etc.

I think the first option is the best option for you because you still have some time before you can return to Canada and that is a good time to spend on your new PR and by the time you are done your training, you have no PR issues or PR card issues to deal with.

Getting a travel document accepted or getting your PR card renewed when you don't meet the RO is hard unless you have H&C grounds. Choosing to study abroad is not regarded as H&C grounds.