+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

4 things that will prepare you for the Job Search in Canada

sk1356

Mar 8, 2015
I am a Human Resources professional and this article is based on my experience of going through the job search phase when I moved to Canada.

Searching for the job becomes a full time job when you arrive in Canada. Though there is plenty of information online and from employment agencies, it’s important to improve your profile and personalize your job search before applying for those 100s jobs with seemingly matching skills and experiences.

As Abraham Lincoln quotes – Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend first four sharpening the axe.

In spite of several years of past experience, you are new to Canadian job market and here are 4 things you can do to sharpen your axe.

1. Define your Job Search Strategy

Based on your professional goals, experience and transferable skills, identify specific industries, companies, jobs and locations that you want to target. Your job search strategy will guide you through rest of the steps ahead.

2. Improve your Resume

Research online for tips on formatting, language, achievements vs responsibilities, what not to include to increase chances of getting a call, generic vs customized resume etc.

3. Update your Linkedin profile

Make your linked profile appealing with right skills, job summaries, recommendations. If applicable, consider writing articles on your area of expertise.

4. Networking

Networking might not land you a job every time but interacting with local professionals will give you insights into industry, job market, skills in demand etc. There are several networking avenues like networking through linkedin, informational interviews, volunteering, professional membership and mentorship programs etc. Go with one that suits your job search strategy.

For more details and personalized consultation, please feel free to contact me on skatkar.canada@gmail.com

Reactions: SK2779