+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will 2 part-time semesters due to administrative oversight effect PGWP?

dolphine2024

May 4, 2024
I am an international student nearing the end of a graduate engineering program in Canada. The university recently acknowledged an administrative oversight concerning a mandatory course that was required for graduation. I have met all other graduation requirements and was enrolled part-time for the spring semester, which was supposed to be my final semester.

The university has suggested I complete the required course in the summer semester, which would result in two consecutive part-time semesters. They also plan to provide a letter explaining the oversight to support my Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) application. I am concerned about how having two consecutive part-time semesters (spring and summer) might affect my PGWP eligibility.

Could anyone especially legal professionals advise whether making the summer semester full-time by adding more courses would help mitigate any potential issues with my PGWP application? Also, would the university's letter explaining the oversight situation be beneficial in this case? What's the chance of my application getting approved in this case?

Appreciate your prompt help in advance !