+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit refused "you do not have significant family ties outside canada"

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023
Hi,
I have submitted a study permit application for my masters degree in Vancouver and it was refused stating only that "You do not have significant family ties outside Canada".
Can anyone please explain what this means? Do I lack family ties in my home country or I have stronger family ties in Canada?
I have some extended family in Canada from my father's side with whom we don't have any communications, but none of my immediate family lives in Canada. I am not married and my mother lives in my home country.
Can anyone please help me to better understand the situation so I can reapply with better reasons and documentation.
Thanks in advance

thomas23

Star Member
Mar 12, 2023
Hi there, first of all I’m sorry to hear that your application was refused.

This is a generic reason which technically means you lack ties to your home country and that the officer is not satisfied that you will leave canada at the end of your studies.
If you would like further comments from the users of the forum, please share your profile and details so we can fully understand why you got rejected

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023
Hi there, first of all I’m sorry to hear that your application was refused.

This is a generic reason which technically means you lack ties to your home country and that the officer is not satisfied that you will leave canada at the end of your studies.
If you would like further comments from the users of the forum, please share your profile and details so we can fully understand why you got rejected
Hi thomas23,
Thanks for your prompt reply. Since I am new to this community would you please tell me what specific details I should add to the topic in order to get better help.
Thanks again

thomas23

Star Member
Mar 12, 2023
Please share how old you are, what you’re planning to study in Canada and what you studied in your home country. You could share what your financial situation is like and whether you’re paying for your own studies or whether your parents are sponsoring you. what are you currently doing in your home country and are your parents also in your home country? Do you have any work experience? or any other information that could be useful

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023
I am 32 years old male. Never married. After high school I studied in the US (computer science) for 3.5 years but came home without completing the degree after my mom suffered from some health issues. After coming home, I completed a diploma in business then got my bachelor’s degree in business and management, and I have been working as administrative manager for a company for the past three and a half years. My only sibling has settled in the US and my mother is living in home country with me. Since I do not have any significant savings of my own my mother is sponsoring me financially. My father has passed when I was kid just a kid. My mother is a teacher, she is also receiving my father's pension from the government. In addition to that she has been running a successful business since the early 2000s. My grandma also lives with my mom.

Last edited:

thomas23

Star Member
Mar 12, 2023
I am 32 years old male. Never married. After high school I studied in the US (computer science) for 3.5 years but came home without completing the degree after my mom suffered from some health issues. After coming home, I completed a diploma in business then got my bachelor’s degree in business and management, and I have been working as administrative manager for a company for the past three and a half years. My only sibling has settled in the US and my mother is living in home country with me. Since I do not have any significant savings of my own my mother is sponsoring me financially. My father has passed when I was kid just a kid. My mother is a teacher, she is also receiving my father's pension from the government. In addition to that she has been running a successful business since the early 2000s. My grandma also lives with my mom.
Okay so based on the available information, I can suggest a few things. Your family ties in your home country are a bit weak due to your father not being around and your sibling being in the US. And due to your age and study gap that may seem concerning to an officer.

Here are my suggestions, get your mother to transfer the funds to your account as you are not young enough to be sponsored by parents. If this is not possible then you may need an official notarised letter that your mother will undertake all your costs during your studies but it is definitely better to have the funds in your own account.

Secondly, you did not mention what you’re going to study in Canada but i’m assuming you’re continuing to get your masters. So make sure you’re getting a master’s related to your current job. You need to show career progression in your study plan letter. Why do you suddenly wanna study after taking a large gap? Since you haven’t been studying for years now the officer thinks you have immigration in mind when coming to study again after a long time. My suggestion is to get a letter from your current employer mentioning that you will get a promotion job offer and a higher pay if you complete your master’s. This will show the officer you have a good reason to continue your studies and it will also act as work ties to your home country.

Due to your weaker family ties, you need to write a very good SOP convincing the officer you’d be returning to your country. If your mother or you or your grandma own any businesses or properties, you could use these as reasons to return to your home country.

If you didn’t understand anything, please feel free to ask me

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Best bet is career single male, at prime age with no spouse or children. With your profile, there is weak family ties. It would be different if you were 20's but at 32 they will assess family ties based on you..

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023
Okay so based on the available information, I can suggest a few things. Your family ties in your home country are a bit weak due to your father not being around and your sibling being in the US. And due to your age and study gap that may seem concerning to an officer.

Here are my suggestions, get your mother to transfer the funds to your account as you are not young enough to be sponsored by parents. If this is not possible then you may need an official notarised letter that your mother will undertake all your costs during your studies but it is definitely better to have the funds in your own account.

Secondly, you did not mention what you’re going to study in Canada but i’m assuming you’re continuing to get your masters. So make sure you’re getting a master’s related to your current job. You need to show career progression in your study plan letter. Why do you suddenly wanna study after taking a large gap? Since you haven’t been studying for years now the officer thinks you have immigration in mind when coming to study again after a long time. My suggestion is to get a letter from your current employer mentioning that you will get a promotion job offer and a higher pay if you complete your master’s. This will show the officer you have a good reason to continue your studies and it will also act as work ties to your home country.

Due to your weaker family ties, you need to write a very good SOP convincing the officer you’d be returning to your country. If your mother or you or your grandma own any businesses or properties, you could use these as reasons to return to your home country.

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. I should have mentioned that I completed my bachelor's degree in 2021 because it was a part time degree. For the first 1.5 years I was an administrative executive and got promoted to a supervisor position as manager after I graduated because they would not give me the promotion without a degree. I can get a letter from my employer saying that I can come back to my job after studies with a promotion or better pay. My mother is also giving me a notarized letter saying she will give me ownership to her three properties when I return home because there is no one else to look after those properties. I am part of some local religious organizations and sports club since I was in high school. Can I also show them as ties? Is there anything else I can show them as ties?
Thanks

thomas23

Star Member
Mar 12, 2023
Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. I should have mentioned that I completed my bachelor's degree in 2021 because it was a part time degree. For the first 1.5 years I was an administrative executive and got promoted to a supervisor position as manager after I graduated because they would not give me the promotion without a degree. I can get a letter from my employer saying that I can come back to my job after studies with a promotion or better pay. My mother is also giving me a notarized letter saying she will give me ownership to her three properties when I return home because there is no one else to look after those properties. I am part of some local religious organizations and sports club since I was in high school. Can I also show them as ties? Is there anything else I can show them as ties?
Thanks
The letter from your employer will be pivotal so definitely should get that. You can mention the clubs in your SOP and the properties will be also very important. You need to mention in your SOP that you will need to go back to take care and manage these properties. I suggest getting help from a professional for your SOP writing but with the properties and employement letter and a good SOP, you should have a much stronger application! Good luck

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023
The letter from your employer will be pivotal so definitely should get that. You can mention the clubs in your SOP and the properties will be also very important. You need to mention in your SOP that you will need to go back to take care and manage these properties. I suggest getting help from a professional for your SOP writing but with the properties and employement letter and a good SOP, you should have a much stronger application! Good luck
Hey,
Thanks man. I Appreciate all the help. I am re-applying in 2 weeks I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey,
Thanks man. I Appreciate all the help. I am re-applying in 2 weeks I'll let you guys know how it goes.
The issue is you are single so what are your family ties to return home. You must convince officers that you will return because family is considered spouse and children, not parents or siblings.

top_gun

Mar 9, 2023

Is it necessary to get the"financial sponsor letter" from your parents notarized for study permit application? Can it work without notary stamp..Asking for a friend based in India

thomas23

Star Member
Mar 12, 2023
Is it necessary to get the"financial sponsor letter" from your parents notarized for study permit application? Can it work without notary stamp..Asking for a friend based in India
Without a notarised letter it’s not official or any legally binding that they are going to sponsor him/her. You can still submit without it but it will be a much stronger document to have compared to a simple letter signed by the parent that’s not official. Anyway, I don’t see why they wouldn’t get the letter notarised as it’s very quick and easy to do

Dream65

May 22, 2023
Something to add! If possible, request for gcsm notes. It will share additional information. However, it takes around 30 get the information after request.

Reactions: jan1992