+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Process of applying for Bridging open work permit

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
Your employer restriction needs to NO in order for you to apply for Bridging open work permit.. you will have to get a closed work permit.
Hi, thank you for your answers.
I have the same question but a little bit different. for me it doesn't matter whether the work permit will be open or close as anyhow I'm going to work for the same employer to receive my PR.
I'm more interested whether I can to apply for open work permit without having AOR.
I've nominated by BC PNP recently and I'm in process of paper base application to CIC. And I will apply at the end of the July, my current work permit expires in October and it seems that between sending documents and AOR there can be more than 4 months waiting ( I've seen in the forum people applied on the beginning of May and still waiting for AOR.

thank you very much for your help.

Strawberry909

Star Member
May 13, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Jan, 2016
Doc's Request.
Sep, 2016
Nomination.....
Dec, 2015
AOR Received.
March, 2016
Med's Request
Jan, 2017
Med's Done....
Jan, 2017
Interview........
--
Passport Req..
Oct, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
--
LANDED..........
INLAND
Hi there,
I am about to apply BOWP because my PGWP is expired in 4 months.
I have applied permanent resident application under BCPNP February and got AOR email April this year.

I have a few questions about my spouse's work permit:

As I read Operational Bulletin 485-A,
"For spouses of PNP applicants: the spouse is eligible for an open WP for the duration of the WP held by the principal PNP applicant, irrespective of the skill level of the principal PN applicant’s occupation."
Reference: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob485A.asp

There is a online questionnaire that asks "Do you want to submit an application for a family member?"
Do you think I should choose yes? or no?

Thanks for your time to read.
if you want your spouse to have WP then yes, Select yes for to submit an application for a family member,( if you don't want select NO:p)

Reactions: Anna16

Strawberry909

Star Member
May 13, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Jan, 2016
Doc's Request.
Sep, 2016
Nomination.....
Dec, 2015
AOR Received.
March, 2016
Med's Request
Jan, 2017
Med's Done....
Jan, 2017
Interview........
--
Passport Req..
Oct, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
--
LANDED..........
INLAND
Wts most recent bowp approval?
I applied june 15 still waiting...
I applied on May 25 and guess what??? you are correct, still waiting... :rolleyes:

Reactions: AlexandraO

PrettyCanada

Feb 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear frnds,

I have applied for Express Entry PR and I am already at around 140 days of my e-APR AOR. So I am expecting PPR anytime.
I am inland.
My work permit is expiring in 15 days from now and I have applied for BOWP two weeks back.

BOWP is taking 70 to 75 days as per current trend. So I am expecting PPR before BOWP.

Question is: Can I cross border, if my BOWP is not yet approved but PPR stamping on passport is done? Or I will have to wait till BOWP is approved and then only I can cross border?

Endless

Jul 13, 2016
Visa Office......
Sydney-ottawa
App. Filed.......
18-03-16
Doc's Request.
16-10-16
Nomination.....
1-3-16
AOR Received.
3-5-16
File Transfer...
16-3-16
Med's Request
1-3-17
Med's Done....
7-3-17
Passport Req..
Waheguru di kirpa nal jaldi hi
LANDED..........
Dear frnds,

I have applied for Express Entry PR and I am already at around 140 days of my e-APR AOR. So I am expecting PPR anytime.
I am inland.
My work permit is expiring in 15 days from now and I have applied for BOWP two weeks back.

BOWP is taking 70 to 75 days as per current trend. So I am expecting PPR before BOWP.

Question is: Can I cross border, if my BOWP is not yet approved but PPR stamping on passport is done? Or I will have to wait till BOWP is approved and then only I can cross border?
U can cross border before
After flagpoling u can also apply for refund of your BOWP $255 if they hvnt processed ur bowp till then

Reactions: PrettyCanada

PrettyCanada

Feb 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
U can cross border before
After flagpoling u can also apply for refund of your BOWP $255 if they hvnt processed ur bowp till then
Thank you. It will be actually $610, as I have applied WP for dependents.

PrettyCanada

Feb 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi frnds,

I have applied for BOWP day before yesterday. It has been more than 40 hours, but I don't see application number for BOWP in my profile.
Is this normal? When application number will be generated?

Neo_says

Feb 17, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
6th Feb 2016
I applied for my BOWP application on 6th of August and still, I did not receive AOR.
I got the message of payment confirmation but no AOR yet.

Please advise.

anton5000

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Hi guys, thanks for all the posted info, it's been very helpful. I'm currently applying for a BOWP as my Open PostGrad Work Permit expires on Aug 20; I applied for PR through EE and I got the Ontario PNP nomination for the bonus points, and I already received AOR (just waiting for my PPR that I should get this month).

Now in the BOWP questionnaire asks me what's my current working situation and there's the option of "I'm a Provincial Nominee Certificate Holder", so I don't know if I should select that option or "None of the Above" as my work and work permit is not attached to my current job (open permit), neither the employer has done LMIA or sponsor or anything like that. I just got the OINP for the Express Entry application.

Update: I chose the 3rd option "Open work permit" instead and it's not longer asking me for the PNP certificate.

However, should I attach the OINP letter as the PNP proof?

I appreciate any input in advance, thanks!!

Last edited:

mbnl

Aug 12, 2017
You need to select "A work permit with the same employer". You'll still receive an open work permit. Just got mine yesterday.
Hello, Could you please tell me what documents you provided for your BOWP application? Thank you.

nikki5454

Apr 10, 2017
Hi there,
I am about to apply BOWP because my PGWP is expired in 4 months.
I have applied permanent resident application under BCPNP February and got AOR email April this year.

I have a few questions about my spouse's work permit:

As I read Operational Bulletin 485-A,
"For spouses of PNP applicants: the spouse is eligible for an open WP for the duration of the WP held by the principal PNP applicant, irrespective of the skill level of the principal PN applicant’s occupation."
Reference: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob485A.asp

There is a online questionnaire that asks "Do you want to submit an application for a family member?"
Do you think I should choose yes? or no?

Thanks for your time to read.
hi i have few questions about spouse workpermit can u help me i recently got my bowp how should i apply for her.she is in india.

nikki5454

Apr 10, 2017
Yes you have to provide your duration of employment (I provided my present job offer letter and last 3 pay stubs with application),

And I don't remember the answer of your previous question "approved principle applicant". (I think I selected NO in that but not sure about that) sorry for that.

This is my explanation letter format for your reference,

Name : YOUR NAME

Address : YOUR ADDRESS

Phone :

Email :

Date : Date when you submit your application

To,

Consular Officer

Consulate General of Canada

Immigration Section

Sub : BRIDGE OPEN WORK PERMIT APPLICATION

Dear Consular Officer,

I, YOUR NAME, applying for a bridge open work permit as my current post graduate work permit will expire on EXPIRY DATE. I have submitted an application for Permanent Residence in Canada through Provincial Nominee Program and received an AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) from centralized intake office on DATE WHEN YOU RECEIVED YOU AOR.

UCI : YOUR UCI NUMBER

Permanent Residence Application No : YOUR FILE NUMBER

Please find the following attached documents to support my application:

1) Photo copy of Acknowledgement of Receipt e-mail received from CIO.

2) Photo copy of my current Post Graduate Work Permit.

3) Photo copy of AINP Nomination Certificate. (IF YOU HAVE ONE)

4) Photo copy of current job offer and pay stub.

Yours Sincerely,

YOUR FULL NAME
Yes you have to provide your duration of employment (I provided my present job offer letter and last 3 pay stubs with application),

And I don't remember the answer of your previous question "approved principle applicant". (I think I selected NO in that but not sure about that) sorry for that.

This is my explanation letter format for your reference,

Name : YOUR NAME

Address : YOUR ADDRESS

Phone :

Email :

Date : Date when you submit your application

To,

Consular Officer

Consulate General of Canada

Immigration Section

Sub : BRIDGE OPEN WORK PERMIT APPLICATION

Dear Consular Officer,

I, YOUR NAME, applying for a bridge open work permit as my current post graduate work permit will expire on EXPIRY DATE. I have submitted an application for Permanent Residence in Canada through Provincial Nominee Program and received an AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) from centralized intake office on DATE WHEN YOU RECEIVED YOU AOR.

UCI : YOUR UCI NUMBER

Permanent Residence Application No : YOUR FILE NUMBER

Please find the following attached documents to support my application:

1) Photo copy of Acknowledgement of Receipt e-mail received from CIO.

2) Photo copy of my current Post Graduate Work Permit.

3) Photo copy of AINP Nomination Certificate. (IF YOU HAVE ONE)

4) Photo copy of current job offer and pay stub.

Yours Sincerely,

YOUR FULL NAME
hi i have few questions about spouse workpermit can u help me i recently got my bowp how should i apply for her.she is in india.