+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant Overseas during Citizenship Application

Oct 10, 2023
Me and my partner are both common law Canadian Permanent Residents and have an ongoing Canadian Citizenship Application. Whilst our Canadian citizenship application is ongoing we are in the UK with family and are expecting a child.

Our understanding is that, if born before our Canadian citizenship grant and in the UK the child will not automatically become a Citizen - if born after our grant then the child will automatically become a Citizen. Has anybody experienced this situation and is our current understanding correct?

When we move back to Canada in a few years, will the child become a permanent resident?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Me and my partner are both common law Canadian Permanent Residents and have an ongoing Canadian Citizenship Application. Whilst our Canadian citizenship application is ongoing we are in the UK with family and are expecting a child.

Our understanding is that, if born before our Canadian citizenship grant and in the UK the child will not automatically become a Citizen - if born after our grant then the child will automatically become a Citizen. Has anybody experienced this situation and is our current understanding correct?

When we move back to Canada in a few years, will the child become a permanent resident?
If you are not a Canadian citizen when your child is born, then child is not Canadian. You would sponsor child for PR when you plan to return to Canada.

Minister D

Star Member
Feb 19, 2021

after the child is born you can sponsor the child and if you are a citizen then you can actually pass it on to the child. But there is a but, the courts made a ruling recently so check the government website if it can still happen. If not you sponsor the child to become a PR.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If born before you become citizens, you would have to apply to sponsor the child, who would then becme a permanent resident.

And: you can apply for a grant of citizenship for the child - once the child is a PR residing in Canada - on basis that the child's parents are citizens (just one of them actually of course). That grant process can take from 4-12 months but entirely documentary (no need for oath nor tests, etc).

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
If born before you become citizens, you would have to apply to sponsor the child, who would then becme a permanent resident.

And: you can apply for a grant of citizenship for the child - once the child is a PR residing in Canada - on basis that the child's parents are citizens (just one of them actually of course). That grant process can take from 4-12 months but entirely documentary (no need for oath nor tests, etc).
And to add to armoured's comment. If the child was born before you became Canadians, you would have to prove on intending to move back to Canada in order to apply for your child to get PR. You can't expect to remain outside Canada for your child to get PR and then apply for Canadian citizenship.

Reactions: foodie69