+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical presence calculator error - please advise

Fred3456

Aug 19, 2022
Hi All,

I received my COPR on 12th June 2020, I was outside Canada at that time.

During that time (March 2020 - Aug 2020) , there was no landing (not even virtual), I received an email with a letter confirming that now I am a permanent residence of Canada with COPR number on it.

I travelled back to Canada in Sept 2020 (on my temporary residence visa (TRV) and applied for my PR card from within Canada and received it in 4 weeks.

Now that I am completing my physical presence calculator for Citizenship Application and entering my absences from Canada, it is giving me an error that I cannot be outside Canada on my PR issue date (June 2020).

Could anyone please advise how to deal with a situation like or anyone faced a similar situation as this is unique covid specific situation.

Thank you in advance.

Fred

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi All,

I received my COPR on 12th June 2020, I was outside Canada at that time.

During that time (March 2020 - Aug 2020) , there was no landing (not even virtual), I received an email with a letter confirming that now I am a permanent residence of Canada with COPR number on it.

I travelled back to Canada in Sept 2020 (on my temporary residence visa (TRV) and applied for my PR card from within Canada and received it in 4 weeks.

Now that I am completing my physical presence calculator for Citizenship Application and entering my absences from Canada, it is giving me an error that I cannot be outside Canada on my PR issue date (June 2020).

Could anyone please advise how to deal with a situation like or anyone faced a similar situation as this is unique covid specific situation.

Thank you in advance.

Fred
On the back of your PR card what date does it show for "PR since"?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi on the back of my PR, the date is June 12th, 2020 as well.
I tried using your dates and updating physical presence calculator but did not receive any error. Where are you seeing the error?
Just realized you still not eligible for Citizenship. You are still one year away from it. Why you trying things so early :D ?

Fred3456

Aug 19, 2022
I tried using your dates and updating physical presence calculator but did not receive any error. Where are you seeing the error?
Just realized you still not eligible for Citizenship. You are still one year away from it. Why you trying things so early :D ?

Hi, I was actually outside Canada from 28-Dec-2019 to 6-Sept-2020 and I got my PR confirmation on 12-June-2020.

Do you see this as an issue with my PR as it was issued when I was outside Canada and there was no actual landing procedure due to covid? There was no virtual landing as well during the time when I got the confirmation letter for PR.

Also I dont have one year left, I have a couple of months left in eligibility as I get a 365 day credit for temporary residence status as well.

Thanks a lot for your help.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi, I was actually outside Canada from 28-Dec-2019 to 6-Sept-2020 and I got my PR confirmation on 12-June-2020.

Do you see this as an issue with my PR as it was issued when I was outside Canada and there was no actual landing procedure due to covid? There was no virtual landing as well during the time when I got the confirmation letter for PR.

Also I dont have one year left, I have a couple of months left in eligibility as I get a 365 day credit for temporary residence status as well.

I don't see any issue as due to Covid all these steps were taken by the Canadian government. You can always attach a "Letter of Explanation" with your application providing detail explanation of your situation. Agent handling your case will understand it as it was done due to Covid.

Fred3456

Aug 19, 2022
Thank you for your response. What should I do about the physical presence calculator in this case? Did you try entering the absence with the dates I provided?

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017

but it has nothing to do with when you actually were present here which is what the calculator cares about

Fred3456

Aug 19, 2022
but it has nothing to do with when you actually were present here which is what the calculator cares about
I am unable to enter the absence in the calculator for the dates I mentioned above, therefore, I am unable to finish the calculation

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am unable to enter the absence in the calculator for the dates I mentioned above, therefore, I am unable to finish the calculation
Can you put a screenshot of the error your receiving by blurring out all the personal details and just keeping the dates. When I tried I did not see any error so curious what's the difference.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
put them in two stages, one pre the date you became a pr and one from the day you became pr to after

Fred3456

Aug 19, 2022
Can you put a screenshot of the error your receiving by blurring out all the personal details and just keeping the dates. When I tried I did not see any error so curious what's the difference.
Hi,

I took the screenshot with snipping tool, not sure why I am not able to post it here.

Can you try the calculator with the following:

PR date: 12-June-2020
Absence: 28-Dec-2019 to 6-Sept-2020

Thanks

Fred3456

Aug 19, 2022
put them in two stages, one pre the date you became a pr and one from the day you became pr to after
Yes that works but technically that means that I am showing that I came back to Canada and left the next day, so is that not incorrect?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi,

I took the screenshot with snipping tool, not sure why I am not able to post it here.

Can you try the calculator with the following:

PR date: 12-June-2020
Absence: 28-Dec-2019 to 6-Sept-2020

Thanks
I was able to replicate the issue you facing. Got this error - "
  • You have entered an absence from Canada on the same date that you became a Permanent Resident, check to ensure your dates are correct."
Yours is a peculiar scenario where you became a PR without being in Canada. Looks like Physical Presence Calculator does not have that logic to support such cases. One solution is what @hamgha suggested. Have enough buffer present days while submitting your application so that the extra day you added to circumvent the Physical Presence Calculator issue is ignored. You can always attach a "Letter of Explanation" with your application providing detail explanation of your situation.

Another solution is to call IRCC and try to explain your situation. They might provide a solution or update Physical Presence Calculator to handle such cases. There will be many applicants next year who will face similar issue. You got it a bit early because of your temporary residence status accumulated days.

Reactions: YVR123