+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport surrender application stuck at RPO

negativesum

May 7, 2022
My spouse applied for Indian passport surrender certificate in June 2023 after receiving her citizenship. After waiting for 12+ weeks (normal processing time is 8 weeks), we finally reached out to Toronto consulate via email. Who told us that RPO Ghaziabad has imposed a stop on the file. After sending multiple emails, tweets, for the next 5+ weeks, we finally logged an official complaint after 18 weeks. To which we just received a response two weeks back (Total 25+ weeks process).

The response now mentions "Police report against your above mentioned passport is adverse.". Thats pretty much it. No other information on how to resolve it. Can anyone here help us with the next steps to resolve this? Thank you very much.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
My spouse applied for Indian passport surrender certificate in June 2023 after receiving her citizenship. After waiting for 12+ weeks (normal processing time is 8 weeks), we finally reached out to Toronto consulate via email. Who told us that RPO Ghaziabad has imposed a stop on the file. After sending multiple emails, tweets, for the next 5+ weeks, we finally logged an official complaint after 18 weeks. To which we just received a response two weeks back (Total 25+ weeks process).

The response now mentions "Police report against your above mentioned passport is adverse.". Thats pretty much it. No other information on how to resolve it. Can anyone here help us with the next steps to resolve this? Thank you very much.
Attend the open house - https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/open-house/
You should be able to get some answer there.

IndCanMar

Jan 11, 2024
Hi, I have the same issue. Passport surrender application stuck in ‘Processing at Consulate’ for past 2 years. No replies to any of my emails, so went in person at CGI Toronto, and got told last week that passport has a stop from Ghaziabad RPO. My Indian passport has even expired in the mean time. Not sure what this stop means, never had to face any issue.
@negativesum - were you able to make any progress?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi, I have the same issue. Passport surrender application stuck in ‘Processing at Consulate’ for past 2 years. No replies to any of my emails, so went in person at CGI Toronto, and got told last week that passport has a stop from Ghaziabad RPO. My Indian passport has even expired in the mean time. Not sure what this stop means, never had to face any issue.
@negativesum - were you able to make any progress?
Anyone that can check for you at Ghaziabad RPO?

IndCanMar

Jan 11, 2024
@IndCanMar I got a response from Passport Seva Helpdesk that basically asked me to go to the RPO physically with documents ‍/_-
Hi, thanks for sharing the information. How did you contact their helpdesk, via phone or online? I had submitted online, but didn’t hear back.
So basically you have to be in India to do this, is that right?

salw578

Oct 23, 2020
Hey, is this resolved? I'm under the same boat, its been 7 weeks, sending a query now..
The status says its under review.