+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need clarification on PGWP eligibility on PPP colleges

Ko11

May 11, 2024
I initially enrolled to ppp college for May 2024 intake then changed it to September 2024 in a public college and got PPR approval. Since I got approval early on May 01 2024, I again changed my program back to May 2024 in a same ppp college.

Even though the course got started at April 29 2024 I was not able to go Canada due to passport stamping, so right now I am waiting for it.

If I get study permit after May 15 to study in a ppp college, will I still be eligible for PGWP since the program got started at April 29?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I initially enrolled to ppp college for May 2024 intake then changed it to September 2024 in a public college and got PPR approval. Since I got approval early on May 01 2024, I again changed my program back to May 2024 in a same ppp college.

Even though the course got started at April 29 2024 I was not able to go Canada due to passport stamping, so right now I am waiting for it.

If I get study permit after May 15 to study in a ppp college, will I still be eligible for PGWP since the program got started at April 29?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
What school?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Lambton college Toronto campus
So have you started the program and did you start prior to May 15. If you don’t even have a study permit and have not started then no you are probably not eligible. FYI - any time studied online without a permit doesn’t count towards PGWP.

You will not be eligible for a PGWP if you start a program of study at this campus on or after May 15, 2024.

Last edited:

Ko11

May 11, 2024
Do you have any source for this I have to share with college and have to ask them to defer my program. I have done with my registration and started attending online classes will that be fine or I should physically present in Canada to start program?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Do you have any source for this I have to share with college and have to ask them to defer my program. I have done with my registration and started attending online classes will that be fine or I should physically present in Canada to start program?
You have to ask your school if eligible and if so, any time from when the program started doesn’t count towards PGWP. Hopefully it is a 2 year program.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/designated-learning-institutions-list.html

Any studies started without a study permit or online do not count toward PGWP.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/about.html

Last edited:

Ko11

May 11, 2024
@Naturgrl,

I tried to say this but they are saying like starting online classes on or before May 15 will make me eligible for PGWP.

Please check this:
source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/about.html

context:
To find out if these changes apply to you and how, check the date
  • that you started your program of study
  • on the study permit application receipt that we sent you
Whichever date comes first is the lock-in date that applies to you. Next, check the rules for distance learning for your lock-in date.

Lock-in date between September 1, 2022, and August 31, 2024 New
  • You must complete at least 50% of your program inside Canada (online or in class).
  • The time spent studying online from outside of Canada before August 31, 2024, will count toward the length of your PGWP as long as it constitutes less than 50% of your program of study
Will there be any issue if I try to get study permit in port of entry for a college which lost DLI on or after May 15?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@Naturgrl,

I tried to say this but they are saying like starting online classes on or before May 15 will make me eligible for PGWP.

Please check this:
source:

context:
To find out if these changes apply to you and how, check the date
  • that you started your program of study
  • on the study permit application receipt that we sent you
Whichever date comes first is the lock-in date that applies to you. Next, check the rules for distance learning for your lock-in date.

Lock-in date between September 1, 2022, and August 31, 2024 New
  • You must complete at least 50% of your program inside Canada (online or in class).
  • The time spent studying online from outside of Canada before August 31, 2024, will count toward the length of your PGWP as long as it constitutes less than 50% of your program of study
Will there be any issue if I try to get study permit in port of entry for a college which lost DLI on or after May 15?
You never said that you were in a special distance education program with the information you provided. That is what you are posting.

The following time won’t count toward the length of a PGWP:

• time spent studying outside of Canada after December 31, 2023 New
  • time spent studying before you applied for a study permit
If you started before May 15 with an approved permit, then you should be okay. Any time outside of Canada will not count toward PGWP.

Ko11

May 11, 2024

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It didn’t lose DLI status. It still has DLI number but not eligible for PGWP. If you have an approved study permit then no. You keep asking about PGWP which is a different process and requirements. So you are confusing the two.