+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Failed two courses, now part time, need advice

low_barracuda

May 4, 2024
Hi all. Due to unforeseeable financial circumstances that affected me mentally and physically (lost my job and I also have chronic back pain) through the course this sem I failed two courses, one also due to extremely unfortunate grading. It was rough. The problem here is, one of the courses (6 credit course) is only being offered in winter 2025, the other (3 credit course) I can take any time in fall or winter.

Initially I wanted to do one course in Fall and the last one in winter. I've seen a few cases where students do successfully get their pgwp but I'm guessing this is a huge gamble? All I've researched so far is that I would need a robust letter of explanation and maybe recommendation letters but I believe it will still be a huge gamble.

School suggested me to take authorized leave until Winter however that will prove to have more outgoing costs since I won't be able to work part time during a leave.

I do have a meeting scheduled for Monday with an international advisor, however I was wondering if there's anything else I should take note of so I can ask her about the best way to guide through this situation. Also will I be able to work during part time sems? Any advice is appreciated.

hamsterlegend

Apr 28, 2023
Hi,
You cannot work during your part time semester. Some officers do approve part-time semester on case to case basis but it wouldn't really make sense if you were struggling with your courses but still work at the same time. If you badly need to work, another option is to just take an option class to make you a full time student.