+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Insurance benefit for international students in Canada

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows if international students currently studying (and working as a TA/RA) in Canada are entitled to employment insurance benefit in Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
philus said:
Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows if international students currently studying (and working as a TA/RA) in Canada are entitled to employment insurance benefit in Canada.
Did you read the initial eligibility requirements and ongoing requirements ?

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit/eligibility.html

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Thanks Bs65. Yes I read it and based on the information they are eligible. I even called someone at Employment Insurance Office and he confirmed they can. But I want to be careful so it won't backfire when applying for my permanent residency - my thought is it may be regarded as public funds?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but technically I would think employment insurance would be considered a social benefit but I personally have no experience of any benefits.

Also not sure how someone who is a full time student working part time to supplement living expenses should be able to qualify given the sole purpose of being in Canada is to study not work else after the qualifying period how come others have not shared any tips on same subject ?

How would a student prioritise between study and meeting the obligations for insurance such as demonstrating looking for work would there not eventually be a conflict.

From an ethical viewpoint a student who has paid little or nothing into the system claiming benefits does not sound a valid proposition but I guess if the system allows it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
philus said:
Thanks Bs65. Yes I read it and based on the information they are eligible. I even called someone at Employment Insurance Office and he confirmed they can. But I want to be careful so it won't backfire when applying for my permanent residency - my thought is it may be regarded as public funds?
EI is not public funds and will have no impact on a PR app.

Bs65 said:
Others can comment but technically I would think employment insurance would be considered a social benefit but I personally have no experience of any benefits.
EI is not a social benefit.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
EI is not public funds and will have no impact on a PR app.

EI is not a social benefit.
thanks for the clarification, having never looked at or claimed anything wasnt sure.

Still leaves the ethical question though of a student claiming but hey others can debate that.

JeanEl25

Mar 13, 2020
Hi I just want to ask some few things cause I am also a international student and I can only work maximum of 20 hrs per week so I only work for 2 days. I just recently arrive here in Canada last September 2019, am I eligible for that one? cause my supervisor said I can't since I am just a part time worker and it has a eligible hours to apply for EI.

Alan Raj

Jul 13, 2022
Hello everyone, I am an international student who was working full time and now have to work part time because of the recent law passed on April 30 th. I wanted to ask if I am eligible for employment Insurance as an international student on study permit if my employer lays me off.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone, I am an international student who was working full time and now have to work part time because of the recent law passed on April 30 th. I wanted to ask if I am eligible for employment Insurance as an international student on study permit if my employer lays me off.
Why were you laid off? Laid off is not working at all and let go by your employer because company closed. Then you may be eligible depending on the number of hours you worked over the year. If you get another job then you don’t need EI.

If because of the change in law, no you cannot claim EI.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
EI doesn't supply a "top up" to wages. To claim, you need to be unemployed (laid off) and looking for work.