+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Care benefits and tax returns

Aoko

Jul 23, 2022
Hello there,
My family and I landed in Canada April 3 2024 as PR. We have registered for all necessary documents; SIN, OHIP, Bank account etc..
We have a 1 year old son, my questions are;
1. Do we qualify for Child care benefits?

I have been to service Canada to register but we were advised to mail the documents to a nearby tax office or online.
Is that how it is done ?

2. Do we need to file tax returns before we qualify for CCB or that is separate m?

My husband works remotely with a Thailand company and he has been paying his tax in Thailand.
If yes, we tried using turbo tax and Wealthsimple but they both said “Nothing to file”

I have read online and asked many people but the information I got have not been straightforward.

Kindly assist.
Thank you

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello there,
My family and I landed in Canada April 3 2024 as PR. We have registered for all necessary documents; SIN, OHIP, Bank account etc..

I have been to service Canada to register but we were advised to mail the documents to a nearby tax office or online.
Is that how it is done ?

2. Do we need to file tax returns before we qualify for CCB or that is separate m?

My husband works remotely with a Thailand company and he has been paying his tax in Thailand.
If yes, we tried using turbo tax and Wealthsimple but they both said “Nothing to file”

I have read online and asked many people but the information I got have not been straightforward.

Kindly assist.
Thank you
2024 tax return will be filed in 2025. You have nothing to file yet.

Reactions: Aoko

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello there,

Is that how it is done ?

Kindly assist.
Thank you
You will have to submit international earnings for 1-2 years to CRA. If your husband is living in Canada he needs to be examining tax treaties between Thailand and Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
Service Canada won't help you with CCB - it's the CRA who administers it.

You can apply for and receive CCB as a newcomer before you file your first tax return.

Search online for forms RC66 and RC66SCH. Also try calling CRA for guidance if you need help filling the forms.

Good luck!