+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you re-enter Canada using a "Visitor record"?

Jul 27, 2023
My sister travelled outside Canada to Africa and wasn't aware that she needed a visitor visa, on top of her study permit, to re-enter Canada. So before leaving she only renewed her Study Permit and not her TRV. She submitted an application for a TRV from outside Canada from about a month ago and either she submitted the wrong application or IRCC made a mistake (I've seen a few cases).
When I log into her portal, I see an application that says: "Application to Remain in Canada as a Temporary Resident Permit Holder (IMM5708)". She just got a "visitor record confirmation letter", which is a letter that says this:
Your application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved. A secure document has been mailed to you at the address that you provided when you made your application. If you have not received your secure document within six weeks, contact IRCC .
Desperate times call for desperate measures. She's currently in the U.S. and I'm trying to see if there's any way at all she can re-enter Canada with the Study Permit + Visitor record. I've re-entered Canada a couple times without a TRV but that's because I only travelled to the U.S. But I wanna know if anything is at all possible for her. Maybe she can cross the border by land with those documents? I've been researching like crazy but haven't found anything apart from the fact that she needs a TRV to re-enter even if it's from the U.S.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My sister travelled outside Canada to Africa and wasn't aware that she needed a visitor visa, on top of her study permit, to re-enter Canada. So before leaving she only renewed her Study Permit and not her TRV. She submitted an application for a TRV from outside Canada from about a month ago and either she submitted the wrong application or IRCC made a mistake (I've seen a few cases).
When I log into her portal, I see an application that says: "Application to Remain in Canada as a Temporary Resident Permit Holder (IMM5708)". She just got a "visitor record confirmation letter", which is a letter that says this:

Desperate times call for desperate measures. She's currently in the U.S. and I'm trying to see if there's any way at all she can re-enter Canada with the Study Permit + Visitor record. I've re-entered Canada a couple times without a TRV but that's because I only travelled to the U.S. But I wanna know if anything is at all possible for her. Maybe she can cross the border by land with those documents? I've been researching like crazy but haven't found anything apart from the fact that she needs a TRV to re-enter even if it's from the U.S.
A visitor record is to remain in Canada and is no longer needed if not in Canada. She needs a TRV to enter Canada. So she needs to apply for a TRV as she applied for a visitor record. You cannot just show up at the border and asked to be let in.

aman gill

Star Member
Nov 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 6 2013
AOR Received.
May 14 2013
Med's Done....
May 2 2013
Passport Req..
Aip - 28 jan 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dm- 25march 2014
LANDED..........
23 April 2014
A visitor record is to remain in Canada and is no longer needed if not in Canada. She needs a TRV to enter Canada. So she needs to apply for a TRV as she applied for a visitor record. You cannot just show up at the border and asked to be let in.
wrong mr vip memeber a trv is just for commercial travel like airplanes and ship its requirements by airline it only let u boared plane if ypu have visa sticker on passport but if you crossing canadian border by car you dont have to have visa sticker even if you have visitor record you can u can enter canada through land border which have been done multiple time by me before