+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

As a truck driver can i cross Usa-Canada land border and vice versa with citizenship certificate?

Taranthind

Jul 30, 2017
Hi. After getting the citizenship e-certificate and before getting the passport, can i Cross the border as a trucker? Will i be able to enter usa with my Indian passport with usa visa and come back to Canada by showing my license and citizenship certificate only without any problem?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi. After getting the citizenship e-certificate and before getting the passport, can i Cross the border as a trucker? Will i be able to enter usa with my Indian passport with usa visa and come back to Canada by showing my license and citizenship certificate only without any problem?
It should work. Just that the Indian passport surrender, you may have to pay penalty for travelling after getting Canadian citizenship.

Taranthind

Jul 30, 2017
It should work. Just that the Indian passport surrender, you may have to pay penalty for travelling after getting Canadian citizenship.
Hi. I have read somewhere that we can travel with indian passport for 3 months after getting any other citizenship without any penalty

Taranthind

Jul 30, 2017
Thanks. I was reading from this website. No idea if it's up upto date or not-

https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/myprint.php?3050?001/0023#:~:text=A grace period of three,of acquisition of foreign passport.

If website doesn't open here it is what it says-

"A grace period of three months only is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on Indian passport and hence no penalty will be levied for travel on Indian passport within three months of acquisition of foreign passport."

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thanks. I was reading from this website. No idea if it's up upto date or not-

https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/myprint.php?3050?001/0023#:~:text=A grace period of three,of acquisition of foreign passport.

If website doesn't open here it is what it says-

"A grace period of three months only is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on Indian passport and hence no penalty will be levied for travel on Indian passport within three months of acquisition of foreign passport."
This is what everyone refers but they reject it as not the latest rules. As I said before you can raise a request to get to know the latest rules.

Reactions: Taranthind