+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are visa services being offered to Canadian citizens who are already in India?

AramanB

Star Member
Sep 21, 2020
You can apply for OCI only after you've stayed fr 6 months on a temporary visa like entry visa. You cannot apply for OCI from India while you are on e-visa. You have to apply for an entry visa first and then apply for OCI after 6 months of stay.
The process seems to be similar to that in Canada. You fill the application online and then submit it at FRRO. I haven't done it yet. So not sure about the exact process
I have e visa. I want to change to entry visa. Can i change it from india?

rajdevil3

Feb 22, 2015
Hello,
Do you know if we can surrender Indian passport (issued in Toronto) in India?
Is your Indian passport issued in india?

please reply, I am planning to surrender my indian passport in india but it was issued in Toronto.
We checked with somebody here in India, he said if your passport issued in Toronto you cannot surrender your passport here.
It wouldn't matter where it was issued. You can surrender your passport in India. My passport was issued in Toronto and I recently surrendered my passport in India.

AramanB

Star Member
Sep 21, 2020
It wouldn't matter where it was issued. You can surrender your passport in India. My passport was issued in Toronto and I recently surrendered my passport in India.
Thank you so much, you cleared my doubt. One more thing, did you get SC on same day? Where did you surrender your passport?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Can’t we even apply OCI if we are on e-visa?
i am in india, planing to stay here for a year but i am on e-visa. Don’t want to go back after 6 months. What can i do to extend my stay?
No you cannot apply for OCI on eVisa as a tourist

https://ociservices.gov.in/
Foreign nationals cannot apply for OCI in India while on Tourist Visa, Missionary Visa and Mountaineering Visa. Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India.
Note: 'ordinarily resident' will mean a person staying in a particular country or in India for a continuous period of 6 months.

Last edited:

Hari99

Feb 27, 2024
Thank you. Now, that e-visa is open, I am traveling on Canadian passport. Since, I'll be in India, easier to just surrender the passport and get the certificate same day. I'll come back to Canada on Canadian passport and apply for OCI in Canada using surrender certificate obtained in India.

Hi Pratik,

I am applying got evisa. There are 2 questions that I wanted to clarify. 1. Evisa website asks do you hold any other passport. Do you give your Indian passport details there or no ? And 2. They ask for visa details in case you say you have previously visited India. Obviously, I never visited India on a visa before. So I suppose NA is thr answer ?

Thanks

Hari99

Feb 27, 2024
Hi Pratik,

I am applying for evisa. There are 2 questions that I wanted to clarify. 1. Evisa website asks do you hold any other passport. Do you give your Indian passport details there or no ? And 2. They ask for visa details in case you say you have previously visited India. Obviously, I never visited India on a visa before. So I suppose NA is thr answer ?

Thanks

rajdevil3

Feb 22, 2015
Can’t we even apply OCI if we are on e-visa?
i am in india, planing to stay here for a year but i am on e-visa. Don’t want to go back after 6 months. What can i do to extend my stay?
Thank you so much, you cleared my doubt. One more thing, did you get SC on same day? Where did you surrender your passport?
Generally you get the SC within the same day. Sometime in my case (don't know why), the officers play and they took an entire month. I had to visit the RPO office Bangalore twice before I could finally push them to get it on my third visit. Officer will tell you that they will call you but they don't. Please visit after 2 weeks if you don't get it on the same day (for whatever reason). I have seen peers who got their SC after a week or 2. You have to be persistent.

eee

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
i got canada passport on feb 16th and travelled to india on feb 17th on emergency ( dint apply any e-visa ).
yesterday i went to RPO vijayawada ,andhrapradesh to surrender, but its new office they said come after 10days and confirmed no fines.

do i need to apply e-visa now before surrendering passport ?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
i got canada passport on feb 16th and travelled to india on feb 17th on emergency ( dint apply any e-visa ).
yesterday i went to RPO vijayawada ,andhrapradesh to surrender, but its new office they said come after 10days and confirmed no fines.

do i need to apply e-visa now before surrendering passport ?
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/are-visa-services-being-offered-to-canadian-citizens-who-are-already-in-india.823782/post-10670996

AramanB

Star Member
Sep 21, 2020
Generally you get the SC within the same day. Sometime in my case (don't know why), the officers play and they took an entire month. I had to visit the RPO office Bangalore twice before I could finally push them to get it on my third visit. Officer will tell you that they will call you but they don't. Please visit after 2 weeks if you don't get it on the same day (for whatever reason). I have seen peers who got their SC after a week or 2. You have to be persistent.
Thank you for the information. And one more question, did you print all pages of passport even where there’s no stamp?

krish9297

Feb 2, 2021
Excellent work sharing your journey @nivaan5 and others! It helps a lot.

My plan:
1) Once I get Canadian passport (end of April), I will apply for e-Visa online and travel to India with Canadian PP
2) Apply for SC at RPO
3) Convert e-visa to X entry visa via e-FRRO
4) Wait 6 months before applying for OCI, since I will be staying in India for the next 5 years for personal reasons.
Please let me know if there are any flaws with this plan.

My questions:
Q1) Looks like the 90 day grace period to travel with India PP does not exist anymore in April 2024. Is that correct?
Q2) Is it possible to convert e-visa to X entry visa? any further details/ requirements on visa conversion will be helpful.

Thank you!

AramanB

Star Member
Sep 21, 2020
Excellent work sharing your journey @nivaan5 and others! It helps a lot.

My plan:
1) Once I get Canadian passport (end of April), I will apply for e-Visa online and travel to India with Canadian PP
2) Apply for SC at RPO
3) Convert e-visa to X entry visa via e-FRRO
4) Wait 6 months before applying for OCI, since I will be staying in India for the next 5 years for personal reasons.
Please let me know if there are any flaws with this plan.

My questions:
Q1) Looks like the 90 day grace period to travel with India PP does not exist anymore in April 2024. Is that correct?
Q2) Is it possible to convert e-visa to X entry visa? any further details/ requirements on visa conversion will be helpful.

Thank you!
Hello, i am also in exact situation. I got my Canadian passport and now i am in india on e-visa. Surrendered my Indian passport here, will get my surrender certificate in 3-4 days. Now next , i wanna change my e-visa to x- visa. But don’t know if i can do that? I want to know as well.

krish9297

Feb 2, 2021
Good to know, I've got company in you! I checked the FRRO website and it shows visa conversion service is available, but I couldn't proceed any further since I have to register/create an account with Canadian PP details. Please try and keep us posted about your progress.