+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are visa services being offered to Canadian citizens who are already in India?

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Hello everyone
I'm trying to find out if Visa services are available for Canadian citizens who are already in India. I have contacted FRRO [still awaiting their response]. Any inputs/ suggestions as to how to find out for sure will be appreciated. I recently took oath and need to travel to India (not an emergency). I'm wondering if I can travel on my Indian passport [as I'm still with the 90 days grace period] and surrender my passport in India and apply for a visa once in India. Has anyone done this after Sept 21st?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello everyone
I'm trying to find out if Visa services are available for Canadian citizens who are already in India. I have contacted FRRO [still awaiting their response]. Any inputs/ suggestions as to how to find out for sure will be appreciated. I recently took oath and need to travel to India (not an emergency). I'm wondering if I can travel on my Indian passport [as I'm still with the 90 days grace period] and surrender my passport in India and apply for a visa once in India. Has anyone done this after Sept 21st?
@PratikD is trying for the same

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Hi @nivaan5 - did you get any response from FRRO office? When are you planning to travel, I am in similar boat and planning to visit India from Nov8th
I did get a reply from FRRO Delhi
Sir/Madam,

01. As per Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) guidelines a grace period of three months (90 days) is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on Indian passport. For further clarification and fresh guidelines if any, in this regard you are advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

Regarding surrendering of passport, foreign national is advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

02. Further, as far as departure from India is concerned, any Indian acquires nationality/passport of another country then he/she has to obtain "Exit Permit / Visa" from the FRRO/FRO through online application at https://indianfrro.gov.in. Further, if "Exit Permit" is issued, the foreign national must depart within the validity of the Exit Permit.

Note: Grant/denial of Exit Permit/ Visa related services is subject to submission of surrender certificate of Indian Passport, Indian voter identity card (if issued by the ECI), etc. as well as usual checks and verification.

03. A foreign national is not allowed to stay without a valid visa in the country and indulge in activity other than for which visa has been issued. Violators of visa rules will be prosecuted according to the Law of land. Hence, every foreign national is advised abide by the Law of the land and instructions / guidelines endorsed on the Indian Visa and adhere the same.

Regards,

Team Support

for FRRO, Delhi

Reactions: vivi9696

Bharghavi

Oct 13, 2023
I traveled to India using my Indian passport. I just arrived early morning today. I did not have any problem at check-in or immigration. I will share my experience about surrender and FRRO applications once I'm done.
That's great, will be super helpful! When is that expected? Also, which airport?

To note: My grace period of 3 months ends on the 26th of December, I'm traveling back on the 7th of January. Any idea if that will be a problem? Thank you, appreciate the help!

Hem.georgian

May 2, 2018
I traveled to India using my Indian passport. I just arrived early morning today. I did not have any problem at check-in or immigration. I will share my experience about surrender and FRRO applications once I'm done.
That would be great, thanks a lot for keeping us posted.

tarsainX

Apr 20, 2023
@nivaan5 you have given me some hope. A few questions:
1. What was the email id you used to email FRRO?
2. Did you have your Canada passport already prior to travelling? I don't have one.
3. Did you mention to FRRO as your travel being non-urgent?

Would be really grateful for your response.

tarsainX

Apr 20, 2023
Also just for everyone's reference, I checked on the 3 months allowance to travel on Indian passport without it attracting any fine. Apparently, that is no longer the case. The exact response I recd from CGI Ottawa is below:

"Thank you for reaching the High Commission of India in Ottawa.

Please be advised that once you obtain citizenship of the foreign country, you cannot travel to India on an Indian passport as it is deemed illegal. The rules require you to immediately surrender your Indian passport and obtain a surrender certificate. The provision of any 'Grace Period' no longer exists under Indian laws"

tarsainX

Apr 20, 2023
Can someone post a link to the current passport surrender rules / timelines? I could only find the one that has been issued by the Embassy of India, Democratic Republic of Congo. Any equivalent for Canada?

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
Hello everyone
Update so far. I surrendered my Indian Passport at RPO, Bangalore and obtained the surrender certificate. I have submitted my application for entry visa on the FRRO portal as I am planning for extended stay. Now the waiting game begins. I hope everything goes well.
Good Luck!

Reactions: nivaan5