+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for two Study permits for a couple outside Canada

Shooka

May 8, 2024
Hello guys,

My husband and I have received the admissions for study( both master level) in Canada and want to study there. If my husband is the main applicant, I myself am eligible to get the study permit and study in Canada as his dependent. How should we apply for two study permits? How can we pay the fees?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys,

My husband and I have received the admissions for study( both master level) in Canada and want to study there. If my husband is the main applicant, I myself am eligible to get the study permit and study in Canada as his dependent. How should we apply for two study permits? How can we pay the fees?
2 study permits

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I know we need two study permits. I do not know exactly how to apply for 2 study permits.
These are 2 separate applications for study permits. So follow the process to apply for his study permit. Once done.

Start a new application for yours (or vice versa). Doesn't look like you or him will need "dependent" permits.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Shooka

May 8, 2024
These are 2 separate applications for study permits. So follow the process to apply for his study permit. Once done.

Start a new application for yours (or vice versa). Doesn't look like you or him will need "dependent" permits.
In order to be assessed(two applications)together, Should we submit two applications under one IRCC account? Or two separate accounts and two separate applications? And how about paying the application fees?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
In order to be assessed(two applications)together, Should we submit two applications under one IRCC account? Or two separate accounts and two separate applications? And how about paying the application fees?
They are not assessed together but you can submit under one IRCC account. You each pay the fees and each show the funds. Each of you have a separate application and are assessed based on each person’s profile. Assume you are each showing a considerable amount of funds - each have paid or show first year tuition and living expenses. Why are you both taking a Masters at the same time? Is it a public DLI?

Reactions: YVR123

Shooka

May 8, 2024
They are not assessed together but you can submit under one IRCC account. You each pay the fees and each show the funds. Each of you have a separate application and are assessed based on each person’s profile. Assume you are each showing a considerable amount of funds - each have paid or show first year tuition and living expenses. Why are you both taking a Masters at the same time? Is it a public DLI?
Funds for both of us( tuition and living) are available. We have bachelor degrees,If we get a master degree in our desired majors ( which are not offered in our home country) we would be able to run our own business together in our home country. It will be a family-run business. We want to study at a high ranked university with a leading methods of education and knowledgeable faculties in order to be highly successful in our career path. I think as we apply through one account, it shows that we are a family and in fact I am his dependent who has the right to study, or work am I right?. Do you think the officer may be accept one application and reject the another if there is no other problems, such as funds or ties to home country or ….?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Funds for both of us( tuition and living) are available. We have bachelor degrees,If we get a master degree in our desired majors ( which are not offered in our home country) we would be able to run our own business together in our home country. It will be a family-run business. We want to study at a high ranked university with a leading methods of education and knowledgeable faculties in order to be highly successful in our career path. I think as we apply through one account, it shows that we are a family and in fact I am his dependent who has the right to study, or work am I right?. Do you think the officer may be accept one application and reject the another if there is no other problems, such as funds or ties to home country or ….?
Your are not dependant on each other if each taking a masters program. You are both apply as students. One can be approved and one can be rejected. If only one person is taking Masters then the other can apply for a spousal open work permit. Neither has a right to study if another is a student. What high ranking university have you both gained acceptance too and in what program?

Shooka

May 8, 2024
Your are not dependant on each other if each taking a masters program. You are both apply as students. One can be approved and one can be rejected. If only one person is taking Masters then the other can apply for a spousal open work permit. Neither has a right to study if another is a student. What high ranking university have you both gained acceptance too and in what program?
Most of the universities in Canada have the great ranking globally. Is it matter which programs we have got the admissions? Two universities and two different masters but in one province because we wanted to live together there. But I cannot understand its relationship with applying for visa?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Most of the universities in Canada have the great ranking globally. Is it matter which programs we have got the admissions? Two universities and two different masters but in one province because we wanted to live together there. But I cannot understand its relationship with applying for visa?
Not true at all. Only a few universities are ranked highly globally - U of T, McGill, UBC. Canada has top, mid and low tier universities. Canada has some private universities that are just for international students (UCW). You are applying separately as students not dependant on one another.

Shooka

May 8, 2024
Not true at all. Only a few universities are ranked highly globally - U of T, McGill, UBC. Canada has top, mid and low tier universities. Canada has some private universities that are just for international students (UCW). You are applying separately as students not dependant on one another.
Are you sure? Because on IRCC website, it has been stated that when someone gets a study permit, his dependents are eligible to get a visitor visa, study permit or open work permit. Does applying for two study permits contradict being a family? Then why IRCC provide the possibility of applying through one IRCC account?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are you sure? Because on IRCC website, it has been stated that when someone gets a study permit, his dependents are eligible to get a visitor visa, study permit or open work permit. Does applying for two study permits contradict being a family? Then why IRCC provide the possibility of applying through one IRCC account?
Yes may be eligible. You are both taking a Masters program. There is a main applicant but the other spouse’s study permit for a Masters may be refused. Spouse will still need to show that he/she has the grades, language, experience, funds to be approved.

Shooka

May 8, 2024
Yes may be eligible. You are both taking a Masters program. There is a main applicant but the other spouse’s study permit for a Masters may be refused. Spouse will still need to show that he/she has the grades, language, experience, funds to be approved.
Yes, you are right. I have already had all the items that you mentioned as same as my spouse. Because if I have not had I was not even eligible to get the admission. My question was something else considering that all the other requirements are fulfilled.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, you are right. I have already had all the items that you mentioned as same as my spouse. Because if I have not had I was not even eligible to get the admission. My question was something else considering that all the other requirements are fulfilled.
If you are both have admissions and show that you are able to to the program (grades, IELTS, funds, ties to return, justify costs with career progression and higher salaries, experience etc.) then you should both be approved