CanadaVisa is proud to partner with Scotiabank, Canada's leading bank for newcomers, to offer support and guidance during these unprecedented times and get your new life in Canada started right.
Scotiabank is one of the top Canadian banks and a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services.
Scotiabank has been in business for 188 years – that’s before Canada was even a country! With over 92,000 employees, 950 branches and 3,500 ABMs across Canada, we can ensure that you can access your funds and our financial expertise wherever you are. In this unprecedented past year, Scotiabank spent over $84 million in donations and sponsorships and provided 370,000 customers with over $54 billion of payment relief in Canada. We have also launched ScotiaRISE – our new, 10-year, $500 million community investment program designed to help promote economic resilience among disadvantaged people and communities. In particular, the program is centred on using funding and partnerships to increase graduation rates and postsecondary enrolment, help newcomers feel at home faster and secure meaningful employment and senior opportunities for underrepresented groups.
Launched in 2008, the Scotiabank StartRight Program for newcomers to Canada is designed to simplify banking for Canadian Permanent residents, International Students and Foreign Workers who have recently landed in Canada.
The bank for newcomers
We can help ease your transition to Canada by getting you started with a Scotiabank International Account that allows you to transfer up to $50,000 before you arrive to help you feel more prepared knowing you have proof of funds ready.
A Scotiabank International Account can help you:
Once you arrive in Canada, the Scotiabank StartRight Program also has newcomer offers that were designed just for you.
Scotiabank. The bank for newcomers.
With the StartRight® program, you can bank without monthly account fees1 and get a credit card with no credit history2.
The bank for international students
In addition to being the bank for newcomers, we are also the bank for international students. We can help fast track your study permit with the Scotiabank Student GIC Program.
What’s a GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate)?
A GIC is an investment account that offers a guaranteed interest rate over a fixed period of time. With the Scotiabank Student GIC Program you can invest between $10,000 CAD - $50,000 CAD.
Here’s an example of how it works:
Once you arrive in Canada, we also have international student offers that were designed just for you.
Scotiabank. The bank for International Students.
Let’s get your new life in Canada started right
Helping newcomers goes beyond just financial advice. Scotiabank will provide guidance and support, even if it has nothing to do with banking, so sign up up for our email program to get helpful information, notifications, and more.
1) Eligibility: To qualify for the 1-Year No Monthly Account Fee Offer (the “Offer”), open a new Preferred Package account under the StartRight® Program (the “Account”) [Employees of The Bank of Nova Scotia (“Scotiabank”) and individuals who are currently or were previously holders/ joint holders of a Scotiabank chequing account within the last 2 years are not eligible for this Offer. How this Offer Works: During the first 12 months, your monthly Account fee will be waived and will not appear as a charge on your Account. The Account must be open and in good standing at the time of the waiver. All applicable service charges on the Account will continue to be applied monthly. After the first 12 months, you will begin to see the monthly Account fee charged to your Account unless you maintain a minimum daily closing balance of $4,000, in which case the monthly Account fee will be waived per the Account terms and conditions. This Offer is non-transferable and cannot be combined with any other offers. Maximum one Offer per customer. All rates, fees, features and benefits are subject to change. Offer may be changed, cancelled, or extended at any time without notice.
2) Subject to credit approval. To be eligible, you must be a participant in the Scotiabank StartRight Program. To qualify for a credit card, you must be a resident of Canada and the age of majority in your province/territory where you live. Your approval for a credit card and the credit limit assigned will be determined based on Scotiabank’s credit criteria, including your verifiable income and credit history (If available). The credit limit amount of up to $5,000 under the Scotiabank StartRight Program is subject to change by Scotiabank from time to time without prior notice. A credit history in Canada is not required in order to be eligible for a credit card under the Scotiabank StartRight Program.
3) Foreign currency exchange rates apply. A transfer needs to be made from an eligible Scotiabank Chequing or Savings account
4) Subject to availability and signing the Safety Deposit Box lease
5) Subject to Scotiabank credit approval and financing terms and conditions. Maximum 60 month term. Minimum 10% down payment is only applicable to qualifying Permanent Residents. Qualifying Foreign Workers under the Scotiabank StartRight® program are required to make a minimum 25% down payment.
6) This is not intended to solicit transactions that are not permitted in the applicable jurisdictions.
7) SCENE VISA cardholders will receive points for purchases made with their SCENE VISA card. SCENE VISA cards must be connected to a SCENE membership in order to earn points. SCENE Points can only be redeemed at participating Cineplex Entertainment theatres or scene.ca. Points are not awarded for cash advances, credit vouchers, returns, interest charges or service/transactions charges, balance transfers and Scotia® Credit Card Cheques. Some conditions and limitations apply. Visit www.scotiabank.com/scenevisa for complete details.