Frequently asked questions about Express Entry's Comprehensive Ranking System.

The Canadian Experience Class Program is a category of Canadian immigration under which temporary foreign workers in Canada may qualify for a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa.

An individual applying for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class must be a foreign worker who has accumulated a minimum of one year of full-time skilled work experience in Canada within the past 36 months. He or she must also intend to settle outside of the Province of Quebec.

CEC applications are processed through the Express Entry immigration selection system, and applicants must receive an invitation to apply before they may make an application. Fill out a free assessment form to determine eligibility.

Applicants who have work experience in Quebec and intend to settle in Quebec will have to submit their application through the Quebec Experience Class, as Quebec has its own selection process.

Yes, all experience within Canada is taken into account provided that the candidate intends to live outside the province of Quebec.

For international graduates, work experience does not have to be related to education, as long as the candidate has accumulated the work experience after graduating from an approved Canadian post-secondary educational institution.

Yes, provided that at the time the application is submitted, the candidate has one year of skilled work experience in Canada within the past three years.

When considering education, all candidates must have acquired at least two years of academic study in Canada and must have graduated from an approved Canadian post-secondary educational institution to qualify for the Canadian Experience Class. There is, however an exception to this rule. A candidate would still be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class in the event that he or she has completed a one-year Master’s degree after completing another program that is one year in length and from an approved Canadian post-secondary educational institution. The programs must be completed within two years.

No, English- or French-as-a-second language courses do not count toward education requirements under the Canadian Experience Class. However, if a candidate's education in Canada includes a second language component, that education can be counted provided that the second language component does not make up more than half of the course load.

As of January 1, 2015, candidates who are eligible under the Canadian Experience Class must make an expression of interest in immigrating to Canada permanently through the Express Entry immigration selection system. Candidates are not able to apply directly to the program. If they are selected from the Express Entry pool and issued an invitation to apply, they may then submit an application for permanent residence.

Other Canadian Immigration programs continue to remain open. Please fill out a free online assessment today to determine which programs you may be eligible to apply for.

Latest News

  • Minimum CRS score decreases in latest Express Entry draw

    Canada has issued another 3,600 invitations to apply for permanent residence to candidates in the federal Express Entry pool.

  • Latest British Columbia draws invite 432 candidates to apply for provincial nomination

    British Columbia invited skilled workers and entrepreneurs to apply for a provincial nomination for Canadian permanent residence in draws held November 12.