+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Young English Couple / 2 Scenarios - 1 End Goal - help us choose.

emandwillow

Mar 15, 2016
We have two possible scenarios and are struggling with what is the best possible option. Our emigration case worker has been and is very unhelpful.

A background: James is an Electrician with a Level 2 in Electrical Technology which he gained on an Apprenticeship here in the UK. He did not complete his Level 3.

James has 4 years experience as an Electrician and almost 2 as a Fire Alarm Engineer/Technician.

We have been planning to get out to Vancouver to live and to do so, James will enrol on to a course studying to be an Electrician and complete a foundation course, then go onto a full apprentice course, all in Vancouver.

The foundation course is only 6 months, you need to be on a course and complete it successfully for 8 months to gain a work permit. This is why we are doing the apprenticeship also.

I, Emma, have changed my job 2 months ago to work as a User Support Technician (jumping into federal skill group B) which will allow us to apply for permanent residency after working as a User Support Technician for a full year (half of the year in the UK, the other half in Vancouver). I will ride off the back of James’ study visa (and would be the sole one applying for perm residency asap).

Even though James wants to study the Canadian way of electronics, it is our key to gaining entry into the country. One may say a hopeful means to an end.

I (Emma) should score good points as I am 25 years old, I have a Degree, and I work in the right skill bracket, despite it only being a year.

The downside to the James scenario is that it is very costly. We are not rich and have saved every penny we have earned to put towards this goal.

Scenario 2.

I, Emma, study a Masters course for 2 years which will allow me to gain a work permit for another 2 years (are all students eligible for these work permits if you complete a course successfully?). A Masters is cheaper and James has more experience working in the right skill bracket. The only low point is that he only has his level 2, not level 3.

(James did live in Vancouver for a year already and worked for a Scaffolding firm who were/are willing to support his application. However scaffolding is not a ‘registered’ trade in Canada, so I think this is a no go..?)

Anyway…

James will be working full time as an Alarms Engineer / Electrician, then whilst we are there, he will complete a Red Seal exam and apply for a permanent residency visa whilst I, Emma, is still studying.

I am begging that someone out there will be able to help and guide us with this as we feel so alone and confused. All we want to do is live in Vancouver and build a life together.

Which Scenario has the best chance for us being able to stay in the country and gain perm residency.

Thank you for all your wonderful advice in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would double check that the apprenticeship program he wants to attend accepts non-Canadians. Many are only open to permanent residents and citizens.

Also, to count as 8 months, the apprenticeship needs to be a required part of the foundation course (i.e. the apprenticeship needs to be completed in order to complete / pass the foundation course).

Have you looked into and confirmed all of the above?

emandwillow

Mar 15, 2016
Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The Foundation is the first step, this is a 6 month course and then after that he can go on to the apprentice course. This is available for non Canadians with approval of the Dean and the Dean has given James approval.

With Scenario 1, do you think that I stand a fair chance of gaining residency when I am there through my own job? I'd love to know your thoughts.

Emma x

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
emandwillow said:
I, Emma, have changed my job 2 months ago to work as a User Support Technician (jumping into federal skill group B) which will allow us to apply for permanent residency after working as a User Support Technician for a full year (half of the year in the UK, the other half in Vancouver).

Yeah, this won't work. It would be considered less than one year of foreign work experience, and less than one year of Canadian work experience. You wouldn't qualify. If you could gain a full year of Canadian work experience, you would qualify under the CEC class.

James currently has enough foreign work experience to qualify under the FSW and/or FST programs (that does not guarantee an invitation to apply, however).

I will ride off the back of James’ study visa (and would be the sole one applying for perm residency asap).
First - if you have been living together for at least 1 year, Canada considers you to be "common-law partners" and are treated (mostly) the same as married. You cannot apply as "single." Some people legitimately apply with the spouse as "non-accompanying" (meaning, remaining in their home country) - if the spouse wants to come later, the spouse with PR has to sponsor them under the family class - which is a lengthy process. Since your CLP would actually be in Canada with you, you could not legitimately claim "non accompanying." This is a good thing tho - you can and should apply together.

Scenario 2. I, Emma, study a Masters course for 2 years which will allow me to gain a work permit for another 2 years (are all students eligible for these work permits if you complete a course successfully?). Generally, yes. But if you complete a 2 year program, you would be eligible for a 3 year post-graduate work permit (PGWP).

A Masters is cheaper and James has more experience working in the right skill bracket. The only low point is that he only has his level 2, not level 3.

(James did live in Vancouver for a year already and worked for a Scaffolding firm who were/are willing to support his application. However scaffolding is not a ‘registered’ trade in Canada, so I think this is a no go..?)

This could be your ticket, depending on what the job is. Even if it is not a skilled trade, if the work experience has a skilled NOC and was full-time for at least 52 weeks (He would probably have to be a supervisor or manager), it would be eligible Canadian experience. And if the employer is willing to apply for the LMIA and offer him a permanent position (meaning, he would have a "valid job offer") you would be virtually guaranteed PR status.

Anyway… James will be working full time as an Alarms Engineer / Electrician, then whilst we are there, he will complete a Red Seal exam and apply for a permanent residency visa whilst I, Emma, is still studying.

Again, if you are CLPs you would apply together, regardless of which one is the Principal Applicant.

Which Scenario has the best chance for us being able to stay in the country and gain perm residency.
- if James can get an LMIA-supported job offer, regardless of the occupation (of course it has to be "skilled" but it doesn't have to be a "skilled trade", NOC level O, A, or B) that is the best chance.
- completing a study program of 2 years will make you eligible for a 3 year PGWP, which would give you the chance to qualify through other means.

emandwillow

Mar 15, 2016
Hi there thank you for getting back to me.

So, if James is able to work as an electrician or get a supervisor job at the Scaffolding company as soon as we arrive in Canada and I study, we would affectively have up to 5 years (whilst I study for 2 and get a work permit for 3).

So do you think that Scenario 2 is our best option?

Emma x

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

emandwillow said:
Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The Foundation is the first step, this is a 6 month course and then after that he can go on to the apprentice course. This is available for non Canadians with approval of the Dean and the Dean has given James approval.

With Scenario 1, do you think that I stand a fair chance of gaining residency when I am there through my own job? I'd love to know your thoughts.

Emma x
1. It really doesn't matter what the Dean says, Work BC says you have to be a Citizens, Permanent Resident or Protected Person to enroll in an apprenticeship.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
emandwillow said:
So, if James is able to work as an electrician or get a supervisor job at the Scaffolding company as soon as we arrive in Canada and I study, we would affectively have up to 5 years (whilst I study for 2 and get a work permit for 3).

So do you think that Scenario 2 is our best option?
Probably. It's clear that James will not be able to work as an electrician, or even complete his apprenticeship until he is a PR. You might want to think about that. But if he worked as a supervisor/manager at the scaffolding company for one year, that would be very valuable.

I'm sure I don't have to say this, but the proposition (graduate school + cost of living) in BC is quite expensive. So the decision to get a master's degree should firstly be fueled by a strong desire for the master's degree. Remember, there is no post-graduate work permit (PGWP) at the end if you don't finish your program.

Also keep in mind we're talking about 5-6 years in the future - there's no way of knowing how the immigration programs will change by then...