+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Years of experience to claim

Graccie

Dec 23, 2019
i've been confused on my correct years of experience based on IRCC standard, so as to avoid misrepresentation. I have one year experience as a secondary school teacher, one year full time experience in an NGO as a paid volunteer (My letter was written Volunteer but i was given monthly stipends to cover transportation and other minor stuffs), 7 months full time experience in an NGO as a survey field worker, 6 months experience working as a consultant in another NGO. This last one is the reason for my confusion because at first i was employed to work for the month of June only (15 day. Although i worked all through, was paid based on the 15 days stated in my letter), was later employed again in August for August and September (15 days per month, thou still worked all through the month) and the work was extended till November (15 days per month) and then another extension till January (but this time 15 days in total for December and January). Like i explained, was always at work all through, but my payment is base on the days stated in the letter. in view of this, can i claim a 3 years experience since its all a paid work?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i've been confused on my correct years of experience based on IRCC standard, so as to avoid misrepresentation. I have one year experience as a secondary school teacher, one year full time experience in an NGO as a paid volunteer (My letter was written Volunteer but i was given monthly stipends to cover transportation and other minor stuffs), 7 months full time experience in an NGO as a survey field worker, 6 months experience working as a consultant in another NGO. This last one is the reason for my confusion because at first i was employed to work for the month of June only (15 day. Although i worked all through, was paid based on the 15 days stated in my letter), was later employed again in August for August and September (15 days per month, thou still worked all through the month) and the work was extended till November (15 days per month) and then another extension till January (but this time 15 days in total for December and January). Like i explained, was always at work all through, but my payment is base on the days stated in the letter. in view of this, can i claim a 3 years experience since its all a paid work?
It will not all be classified as paid work.

You need to exclude the year as a paid volunteer. The job needs to be paid a salary to be counted as work experience. Receiving a small monthly stipend will not make this count as paid work experience unfortunately.

Graccie

Dec 23, 2019
It will not all be classified as paid work.

You need to exclude the year as a paid volunteer. The job needs to be paid a salary to be counted as work experience. Receiving a small monthly stipend will not make this count as paid work experience unfortunately.

The money wasn't that small and it was a full time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The money wasn't that small and it was a full time.
You will need to provide payslips to be able to count this as work experience. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, you were paid a stipend rather than a salary. I'm sorry - I don't think IRCC will allow you to count this as work experience.

Graccie

Dec 23, 2019
You will need to provide payslips to be able to count this as work experience. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, you were paid a stipend rather than a salary. I'm sorry - I don't think IRCC will allow you to count this as work experience.
Well we called it a stipend but the money is by far more than the minimum wage in my country. It was actually done because i had no prior experience to work in an NGO, so i had to pass through that route. I could get bank transactions instead of payslip showing the payments for that duration and can also get the reference letter. it was more like an intern job but called volunteer

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well we called it a stipend but the money is by far more than the minimum wage in my country. It was actually done because i had no prior experience to work in an NGO, so i had to pass through that route. I could get bank transactions instead of payslip showing the payments for that duration and can also get the reference letter. it was more like an intern job but i wonder why the termed it Volunteer.
I don't know. It's a hard call. What will the job experience letter provided by the NGO say for the job title? Volunteer? Will the letter show a salary or call it a stipend?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.