+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Year fractions of work experience, between Foreign and Canadian

Jan 3, 2017
Hi all,

I read a lot here, searched for info in all sections and also online, outside of this forum, but I never found anyone answering this question:

Context: I graduated with a master's from a university in Ontario about 15 months ago, been working in Canada full time for 14 months now. This year in Canada is the bulk of my work experience. Before, it was 3~4 (non-continuous) chunks of a-few-months long internships (outside of Canada).

If I apply for PR in a few months, my situation will be as follows:
1.5 years of Canadian experience (current, and counting, so all valid coz it's within 3 yrs)
~6 months of foreign experience (full-time, but not continuous)

Are the fractions of work experience (esp. in Canada) lost, or is there a way to count, say those excess Canadian 6 months as foreign (because then I could count a full year of foreign experience). I'm also set for a move to the US, but the exact date is mine to decide, so I have a way to credit these months here in Canada or abroad (Canadian or Foreign). (e.g. if 1 yr 11 months of Canadian experience is the same as 1 yr (rendering those 11months worthless), I'm better off getting those extra months abroad and apply with more foreign experience).

Also, can someone explain to me how relevant are CEC "quotas", if draws are picked based on points anyway? I mean, if in one draw all CEC applicants have the lowest points, does that mean this draw would have no CEC applicants? If they do have a quota, how do we know the minimum in that draw? (to get a sense if you'll ever be picked)

Thank you all.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
southwestbound said:
Are the fractions of work experience (esp. in Canada) lost, or is there a way to count, say those excess Canadian 6 months as foreign (because then I could count a full year of foreign experience).

No, if the work experience is in Canada, you cannot count it as "foreign."

(e.g. if 1 yr 11 months of Canadian experience is the same as 1 yr (rendering those 11months worthless), I'm better off getting those extra months abroad and apply with more foreign experience).

Correct, 1 year 11 months = 1 year as far as CRS points are concerned.

Also, can someone explain to me how relevant are CEC "quotas", if draws are picked based on points anyway? I mean, if in one draw all CEC applicants have the lowest points, does that mean this draw would have no CEC applicants? If they do have a quota, how do we know the minimum in that draw? (to get a sense if you'll ever be picked)

IRCC has the option (though it has not often used it) to have program-specific draws (e.g. a drawing for CEC applicants only). So although your scenario is unlikely, if IRCC saw that CEC applicants were underrepresented in the years' stats on EE applicants, they could hold draws exclusively for CEC applicants to meet quotas/targets.