+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would like to sponsor my daughter (unmarried) and her 3 children

Johanna

May 29, 2008
I am a permanent resident in Canada and would like to sponsor my daughter with her 3 children to come to Canada. My daughter lives in Colombia and does not feel very safe there. I have a job and am supporting my daughter financially. My employer has promised to hire my daughter when she comes to Canada. What is the best way to sponsor her?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Johanna said:
I am a permanent resident in Canada and would like to sponsor my daughter with her 3 children to come to Canada. My daughter lives in Colombia and does not feel very safe there. I have a job and am supporting my daughter financially. My employer has promised to hire my daughter when she comes to Canada. What is the best way to sponsor her?
Assuming you daughter is over 22, you cannot sponsor her (there are exceptions, if you are never married, have no other children in Canada, your parents grand parents are deceased. You don't have a niece/nephew, or aunt or uncles in Canada. She will have to apply as a skilled worker.

PMM

Johanna

May 29, 2008
Thank you for your prompt response. Just to make sure I understand correctly. I am married to a Canadian Citizen (he was born here), but I have no parents, brothers, sisters, children, nieces or nephews living in Canada. Does that make it impossible for me to sponsor my daughter and her children?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Johanna said:
Thank you for your prompt response. Just to make sure I understand correctly. I am married to a Canadian Citizen (he was born here), but I have no parents, brothers, sisters, children, nieces or nephews living in Canada. Does that make it impossible for me to sponsor my daughter and her children?
As you are married, you can not sponsor her. By the way, the parents grandparents don't have to be living in Canada as they are sponsorable.

PMM

Johanna

May 29, 2008
O.K., so that does not work. What about sponsorship by a group of 5 (unrelated)? Does it make a difference if the person to be sponsored lives in a Source country class? I will try whatever it takes to help my daughter, as her life is very hard in Colombia.

Johanna

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Johanna said:
O.K., so that does not work. What about sponsorship by a group of 5 (unrelated)? Does it make a difference if the person to be sponsored lives in a Source country class? I will try whatever it takes to help my daughter, as her life is very hard in Colombia.

Johanna
No, you are grasping at straws as she has not been determined that she is a refugee. Since she is still residing in Columbia, life maybe hard, but it doesn't make her a refugee.

PMM

LCS

May 5, 2005
DEFINTION from CIC website:
"Canada offers refugee protection to people in Canada who fear persecution or who may be at risk of torture or cruel and unusual treatment or punishment, and are unwilling or unable to return to their home country."

Life is hard for many many many people wanting to come to Canada but it doesn't mean they can all scream "I want to be considered a refugee".
Life is tough for my husband too and most of his family in Peru, but they aren't refugees.