+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would like to move to canada to be with future husband

NikiW

Feb 2, 2008
First I'd like to say this is an amazing website and I appreciate such a wonderful information source.

I'm a 22 year old female, I met my boyfriend about two and a half years ago while he was visiting the United States. Since then we've been flying back and forth to see eachother. We have decided it would be best if I move to canada to be with him. I have a few different questions regarding this. I have tried being sponsored by canadian employers I even have had a job offer however it didn't pan out. Is there any way other then Skilled worker that I can move to canada without being married to him? (He is currently finishing up a long messy divorce and marrage is not an option at the moment) If we did wait to be married however. How long would it take before my visa came through and I could work in Canada. I would be applying from the US S.F. Office

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
I am assuming that you live in the USA. If that is the case, you can come to Canada and stay up to 6 months without needing any visa, as you are coming from a visa exempt country. It is after the 6 months that you'd need to have a visa in place to remain in the country. Perhaps an idea is to time your "move" to after he is legally divorced, that way as you're in the country for the 6 months, you can marry in that time, and then start the inland immigration application. That way, you can stay in the country while your case gets processed.

Another option is to marry each other during one of your visits, and start the outside immigration application, which is quicker, but it's meant for people who are not living together (as is the case with me and my wife who's in the UK). After that 6 months is over, you'd have to go back to the USA till you get your PR card. If you get your PR card while you're still in Canada, you'd have to leave the country and come back in to "activate" it.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
NikiW said:
Is there any way other then Skilled worker that I can move to canada without being married to him? (He is currently finishing up a long messy divorce and marrage is not an option at the moment) If we did wait to be married however. How long would it take before my visa came through and I could work in Canada. I would be applying from the US S.F. Office
Your likely choices are either skilled worker or getting married. If you lived with him for 12 consecutive months, he could sponsor you as his common-law partner - but the 12 month period could only start after his divorce was finalized.