+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working with canadian company abroad

fady

Mar 5, 2008
dear all,
i am working with a reputable canadian company in the gulf region since jan 2006.
in april 2007 i landed in montreal and became permanent resident of canada then cameback to my company in the gulf.
meanwhile i am paying my taxes to the canadian government as if i am still in canada.
in april 2009 i will complete 2 years with the company after becoming permanent resident my question is that in april 2012 will i be elligible to renew my PR??(spent 2 years within 5 with a canadian company abroad)
i appreciate your valuable responses.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thaiguy said:
Yes, as long as your employer meets the definition of a Canadian business.
Except you have to be hired by the Canadian company in Canada, and then assigned overseas to meet the requirements.

PMM

fady

Mar 5, 2008
PMM said:
Hi

thaiguy said:
Except you have to be hired by the Canadian company in Canada, and then assigned overseas to meet the requirements.

PMM
Hi PMM,
thx so much for your answer.
you are right and i had doubts regarding this issue.but why do you think should i be hired by the Canadian company in Canada and transferred abroad? my company is not created on purpuse to serve my permanent residence obligations. its a reputable well known company.
on the other hand to whom you think shall i address this question to get a definite answer because till now i have paid 20000 cad taxes and i dont want to pay more if this will not help. i would rather travel and work in canada in this case.
kind regards,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fady said:
PMM said:
Hi

thaiguy said:

PMM
Hi PMM,
thx so much for your answer.
you are right and i had doubts regarding this issue.but why do you think should i be hired by the Canadian company in Canada and transferred abroad? my company is not created on purpuse to serve my permanent residence obligations. its a reputable well known company.
on the other hand to whom you think shall i address this question to get a definite answer because till now i have paid 20000 cad taxes and i dont want to pay more if this will not help. i would rather travel and work in canada in this case.
kind regards,
You should contact Canada Revenue Taxation, as if you are not resident in Canada for tax purposes (its different from PR residence) you don't pay taxes. immaterial about the company, if you were hired by an overseas branch, then it won't maintain your PR status.

PMM