+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working remote in canada without letting the employer know

anirudh54

Jan 23, 2019
This is my situation. I have to move to canada in the very near future to meet the minimum residency requirements. I want to do WFH from canada. For multiple reasons , I cant let my employer know about it . I see that few people are already doing that. Now my big concern is how are you going to file taxes ? I see few people are applying for taxes as non resident in US and resident in canada. Did any one do it? any success stories or issues you faced? . please let us know. many people are in the same boat and would help in a great way. thanks in advance.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
This is my situation. I have to move to canada in the very near future to meet the minimum residency requirements. I want to do WFH from canada. For multiple reasons , I cant let my employer know about it . I see that few people are already doing that. Now my big concern is how are you going to file taxes ? I see few people are applying for taxes as non resident in US and resident in canada. Did any one do it? any success stories or issues you faced? . please let us know. many people are in the same boat and would help in a great way. thanks in advance.
All things set aside, your employer (if they really want) can query for your travel history in https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search. They have everything that is needed for that query ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

owleroz

Feb 22, 2018
I worked remotely for ~12 months in a similar situation. There are several threads about people doing this and/or residing in Canada and commuting frequently. I filed taxes through a professional firm specializing in cross-border taxes in Canada. Filed as resident of Canada and non-resident of US (Your residency calculations may be different). Paid all of my Canadian taxes out of pocket and then waited for refund for US taxes. Again I have read people only paying the difference but I relied on the tax professional firm that I hired. My US tax was refunded and I am now working with CRA to provide IRS transcripts and other documents they requested.
DM me know if you are looking for any specific details. There are several professional tax consulting firms that can advise you as well. I suggest searching for "cross border" taxes and narrowing down firms if you are looking for professional advise.

Reactions: harirajmohan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You may run into issues actually working from Canada if your employer doesn’t know. Some can not access employer networks. What address will you give them. What about all the money you’ll be paying for medical insurance, state taxes, other benefits that you may not qualify for as a non-resident of the US like retirement accounts, etc. Not to mention your employer will likely not appreciate being lied to. Some get away with not telling their employer but they tend to be commuting to the US on a daily basis or regularly.