+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Victoria Bc with BC union

dipeshjhamb

Sep 13, 2018
has anyone worked with Victoria bc union? What are the benefits and how much do you need to put in pension plan? Is it worth moving to Victoria with 4K biweekly before tax salary with family of 3?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
has anyone worked with Victoria bc union? What are the benefits and how much do you need to put in pension plan? Is it worth moving to Victoria with 4K biweekly before tax salary with family of 3?
You can't expect to comment when you haven't said what kind of job, what your education and experience has been. As you will soon find out most Canadian families need both parents to work if they want to afford a decent lifestyle.

dipeshjhamb

Sep 13, 2018
You can't expect to comment when you haven't said what kind of job, what your education and experience has been. As you will soon find out most Canadian families need both parents to work if they want to afford a decent lifestyle.
It’s an IT job with union agreement. Is 4K biweekly before tax sufficient to live decent life like renting apt, purchase car, shopping, going out twice a week etc.?what are the benefits with union agreement in the job?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It’s an IT job with union agreement. Is 4K biweekly before tax sufficient to live decent life like renting apt, purchase car, shopping, going out twice a week etc.?what are the benefits with union agreement in the job?
Think you need to research collective bargaining. You don't have a "union job" which usually refers to a job in the trades. You are likely employed by the provincial government and part of a union. 4K will be pretty tight given the high cost of housing in BC. Not saying that you may be able to find a better salary. The cost of housing is high in BC and there is a low vacancy rate. Don't think your budget will allow much going out. Rent, car, insurance, bills, food, pension contribution, benefit payment, taxes and hopefully a little bit of savings. Luckily you have child benefit for some of your child's cost. The benefit of your government job will be health benefits and some form of pension plan. As mentioned before most families don't have the luxury of having only one parent work if they live in an expensive area.

dipeshjhamb

Sep 13, 2018
Think you need to research collective bargaining. You don't have a "union job" which usually refers to a job in the trades. You are likely employed by the provincial government and part of a union. 4K will be pretty tight given the high cost of housing in BC. Not saying that you may be able to find a better salary. The cost of housing is high in BC and there is a low vacancy rate. Don't think your budget will allow much going out. Rent, car, insurance, bills, food, pension contribution, benefit payment, taxes and hopefully a little bit of savings. Luckily you have child benefit for some of your child's cost. The benefit of your government job will be health benefits and some form of pension plan. As mentioned before most families don't have the luxury of having only one parent work if they live in an expensive area.
Thank you so much for the explanation...any idea how much will be in-hand after all deductions including benefit payment, pension plan etc.?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also just to clarify iam talking about 4K biweekly not monthly...does it change anything?
Oops yes I was thinking monthly. Yes you will have more room in your budget for going out and some travel but you are probably looking at a million dollars to buy a house and the cost of living plus taxation is just high in Canada. 2 cars is often a necessity. The price of gas alone may be a shock. You also have the added cost of living on an island. If you are planning to only have one income there will definitely be some sacrifices. The cost of food and goods is more expensive than many places in the world so people are surprised. If you've been living in London, Shanghai, NYC, etc. Canada seems inexpensive but people are usually surprised by the cost of living on top of the taxes. You will also lose a portion of your income if your have a pension but a pension is a huge luxury these days. Depending on the plan it a good trade-off in exchange for a slightly lower salary. It is worth it for the security of living in Canada and knowing you will be cared for if you get sick, etc.

dipeshjhamb

Sep 13, 2018
Oops yes I was thinking monthly. Yes you will have more room in your budget for going out and some travel but you are probably looking at a million dollars to buy a house and the cost of living plus taxation is just high in Canada. 2 cars is often a necessity. The price of gas alone may be a shock. You also have the added cost of living on an island. If you are planning to only have one income there will definitely be some sacrifices. The cost of food and goods is more expensive than many places in the world so people are surprised. If you've been living in London, Shanghai, NYC, etc. Canada seems inexpensive but people are usually surprised by the cost of living on top of the taxes. You will also lose a portion of your income if your have a pension but a pension is a huge luxury these days. Depending on the plan it a good trade-off in exchange for a slightly lower salary. It is worth it for the security of living in Canada and knowing you will be cared for if you get sick, etc.
Thanks yet again Canuck, I m not planning to put huge amount in buying, planning to rent an apt for few years and then plan accordingly. Any idea how much could be total expenses to live there considering all options mentioned? This will give me better idea...

dipeshjhamb

Sep 13, 2018
Thanks yet again Canuck, I m not planning to put huge amount in buying, planning to rent an apt for few years and then plan accordingly. Any idea how much could be total expenses to live there considering all options mentioned? This will give me better idea...
I have 1 car here and that’s enough and planning to get only 1 there also...hopefully that will give me some more room to breathe

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No idea. Victoria prices have really increased recently and the there is a low vacancy rate.