+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Canadian Business overseas

Jan 11, 2010
Hi
I need a help, subsequent to my previous query I appreciate if anybody advice me.
I landed to Canada in February 2008 my PR is valid up to February 2013, my wife and children already settled in Canada however I visited them twice a year and stayed for one month each time.

Having read the relevant websites I knew that working in a Canadian business abroad is one of the safest ways to meet the requirement of maintaining the PR even though I'm out of Canada.

During my last visit to Canada in June 2010 I signed a full time employment contract to represent a Canadian business in the Middle East during 2010-2011, therefore I found the option of working with a Canadian business overseas under which I can be registered and pay tax is suitable for me. However, during the month of my appointment which was June I just stayed one month in the headquarter of the Canadian company and I left to the Middle East. In this regard I have the following questions:

1- All the legal stipulations of the Canadian company are available including the place of their headquarter which is in Ontario and they are recruiting Canadian citizens.
2- Is the relevant rules are applicable to my case, I have a confirmation job letter (Letter of Declaration) from the Canadian Business company by which they indicated clearly my assignment to manage & represent their interests in the Middle East, coordinating their overseas shipments, duration of my assignment overseas and my monthly salary which is going to be paid to me overseas, and I shall pay my tax next February.
2- As I shall be absent from Canada to follow up this company business, I shall declare my absence period during my travel to Canada from time to time, shall I show them the employment confirmation letter signed by my employer? Is it sufficient to prove the matter and to render these rules applicable to my case? Or they might make an issue to me upon my next visit?
3- What should I do further to prove my case and to be in the safe side?

Please help
Thank you and looking forward to hear from you.

Faithfully yours,
MS

Jan 11, 2010
Thank you for your reply, it is time to leave and join the overseas business, thus I have the following questions:
1- Should I notify the CIC before leaving.
2- Should I try to have some official documents to prove my case when I come back to Canada in the airport, bearing in mind that when I come back the time might be elapsed to collect 730 days before the expiration of my PR.

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
You will need proof and documentation. At this time there is no course of alarm, when you will need to extend your PR or get citizenship thats when you will need all these documents to proove.

aarrow

Oct 15, 2014
Could we have any updates from you about what kind of documents are required for entry into canada, it would really benefit the forum

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Mustafarasheed said:
I signed a full time employment contract to represent a Canadian business in the Middle East during 2010-2011

2- Is the relevant rules are applicable to my case, I have a confirmation job letter (Letter of Declaration) from the Canadian Business company by which they indicated clearly my assignment to manage & represent their interests in the Middle East, coordinating their overseas shipments, duration of my assignment overseas and my monthly salary which is going to be paid to me overseas, and I shall pay my tax next February.
I think this may be a problem. How the exception works is that unless you work for the Canadian government or military, any job abroad must be for a Canadian company and where the job was originally a position in Canada which then later got transferred abroad while you were working there. If you applied for a job that, from the start, advertises the position as one that will place you abroad... I'm not sure CIC will accept it. Hopefully others more experienced can comment as I am not sure. One thing I am sure about is that CIC will very closely scrutinize any application where someone is trying to claim PR RO days while working abroad so will need very strong evidence regardless.

Given that the original post was in 2011, I don't know what happened to the OP (he hasn't logged into this site since 2011).